It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:17 pm

is this a good config? (2e hand change)

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

ronald

is this a good config? (2e hand change)

PostThu May 21, 2015 3:38 am

Hi, I can buy for good reasons this:

ASUS P5QL-E Motherboard
LGA775, Intel P43+ICHOR, O,C, FSB 1600 Mhz,
Dual-CH DDR2 1066 EPU-6 Enige, Express Gate.
Hauptwerk 4 on Windows Vista Home Premium,
64-bits software,
With Upgrade-option Windows 7 met original licence.
soundcart: M-AUDIO 64 bit AUDIOPHILE 192 PRO TOOLS
High-Definition 4-in/4out Audio Card with Digital I/O and MIDI
17” LCD touches screen LCD Monitor. Merk: DEAWOO.
Logitech keyboard with free mouse
2 x Active speakers: KRK type: Roket 8
2x Active lspeakers: SAMSON type: ResolV 50
1x Activ Subwoofer: SAMSON Type: AURO D1200

is this a good set and ready for the future (64 Gig)
Thanks!

Eric Sagmuller

Re: is this a good config? (2e hand change)

PostThu May 21, 2015 5:54 am

This is pretty old stuff. With DDR2 memory you may get to 16 gig, but no more.

Eric

ronald

PostThu May 21, 2015 6:06 am

o.k. good to know. so in have to buy new stuf.

mdyde

PostThu May 21, 2015 6:09 am

Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ronald

PostThu May 21, 2015 6:42 am

good info!
a new question; the offer was incl. software Bovenkerk Kampen en Hauptwerk 4.0 with dongle.
Can I buy this without any risk about updating or something?
Or has this been linked to the motherboard itself or IP address (and NSA off course :--) (I don't know...)

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu May 21, 2015 7:57 pm

If you buy a 2nd hand license then the following stipulations apply:

1:The original owner must contact us to initiate a license transfer to your name.

2: You will not be eligible for any technical support from us unless you buy a new license directly from us or one of our resellers or until you upgrade to the next major version of Hauptwerk (i.e. version 5 once it becomes available). We cannot offer support for the instrument.

3: By not purchasing a new license you won't have the satisfaction of knowing that you have helped support one of the most awesome pieces of musical software. :mrgreen:
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

engrssc

PostFri May 22, 2015 6:10 am

B. Milan wrote:3: By not purchasing a new license you won't have the satisfaction of knowing that you have helped support one of the most awesome pieces of musical software. :mrgreen:

And what worth would there be without Hauptwerk satisfaction? :o :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

scottherbert

PostFri May 22, 2015 8:54 am

Ooooooooooh, ....I think I'd pas on that one!!!! :roll:

If you want the older hardware, fine. But I'd pass on the software.
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

TheOrganDoc

PostFri May 22, 2015 2:35 pm

The License for that Hauptwerk program was hopefully paid for in full, in cash,
I think you should have been asked for the license transfer first,
"But HW was paid for in Full".
I truly hope that you guys take a second look at your transfer procedure ! :wink:

If one of us should happen to Kick the Bucket,
then what will our partners do with our "Prized Hauptwerk Organs" ? :roll:
My partner has asked me that question a number of times,
The answer to that question, "is not without much difficulty" !

engrssc wrote:
B. Milan wrote:3: By not purchasing a new license you won't have the satisfaction of knowing that you have helped support one of the most awesome pieces of musical software. :mrgreen:

And what worth would there be without Hauptwerk satisfaction?

Rgds,
Ed
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

ronald

Re: is this a good config?

PostFri May 22, 2015 3:47 pm

thanks for the advise; I decided to have build my own PC with good specs and, of course, download the original software.
A i7-5820K processor, 32 Gig ram and 550 Gig SSD must be fine for the HW-software, windows and a number of samples. The need of 64 Gig is not clear to me.
soundcart: in or extern? what is better/more useful? (connection for two headphones)
This are themes important parts i.m.o. Agree?

thanks and regards,
r.s.

josq

PostFri May 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi Ronald, 32 GB RAM is very good indeed. I think there is only one sample set that is going to demand more: the surround version of Haarlem (for the current stereo only version, 32GB is perfect).

Utrecht surround just fits within 32 GB with a very small, practically inaudible concession to quality - loading a few ranks in 16 bit instead of 20 bit quality.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri May 22, 2015 8:44 pm

TheOrganDoc wrote:The License for that Hauptwerk program was hopefully paid for in full, in cash,
I think you should have been asked for the license transfer first,
"But HW was paid for in Full".
I truly hope that you guys take a second look at your transfer procedure ! :wink:

If one of us should happen to Kick the Bucket,
then what will our partners do with our "Prized Hauptwerk Organs" ? :roll:
My partner has asked me that question a number of times,
The answer to that question, "is not without much difficulty" !

It of course should have been, and we provide support for the original purchaser. If one person purchased a license, then that single license kept getting sold to numerous other people then they each requested support from us we're losing out since we only ever got paid for a single license.

If you need support from us then buy a new license from us or a reseller, if not then feel free to purchase a second hand license and be without official support. We are not prohibiting the transfer of licenses, and we do these fairly often, but we simply cannot spend time supporting multiple users of the same license. Time is money and we're a business not a charity. Sorry we can't give everyone everything for free and continue to create new updates to Hauptwerk. If you want updates and want support then you should need to pay for that, such is life...
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

mdyde

PostSat May 23, 2015 5:39 am

ronald wrote:soundcart: in or extern? what is better/more useful? (connection for two headphones)

Hello Ronald,

The means by which the audio interface connects to the PC should have a negligible impact on performance, provided that everything is working properly. (I've read previously that the theoretical advantages of PCIe over USB are only something like 0.5 ms of latency, which is irrelevant for practical purposes.)

Most recent/current audio interfaces use USB, which should be fine (unless it turns out that the PC motherboard has USB port controllers that are problematic for reliable real-time performance, but that's unlikely and can usually be worked around fairly easily and cheaply by getting a dedicated PCIe USB controller card for the PC.)

A few companies (e.g. RME) make audio interfaces that can be connected via either USB or FireWire, with the potential benefit that you can use the other if it turns out that a particular PC has performance issues with one of those types of connections. However, those interfaces tend to be more expensive, and (as above) it's usually easy and cheap to work around such issues anyway by getting a dedicated USB (or FireWire) controller card for the PC if it turns out to be necessary.

Hence any of USB, FireWire, PCIe, or PCI should be fine, although for maximum support lifespan from the manufacturer it's probably ideal to go with a reasonably recent model, which probably makes USB the most likely candidate.

These two documents cover audio and MIDI interfaces and USB, FireWire, PCIe, etc. (especially the second):

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkPrerequisites.pdf

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentationPDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf
Best regards, Martin.

ronald

PostSat May 23, 2015 6:31 am

to Martin and Milan;
thanks of the clear and helpful info!

to B. Milan,
I asked no more than the policy about licenses and you are free to make the rules...
(but in my opinion: the first owner has payed for it and for the (lifetime?) service after that time. when he don 't sell it than he will receive the update service etc. What is the diff. when he sells it with dongle because there is still one person who get the service. What is the problem?
Your policy about his issue is out if date i.m.o. ... Normally (e.g. in the Netherlands) a guarantee or lifte-time service goes over tho the new owner...
But no point; I am going to buy a complete new system with license from you, so, no tears...)

regard to all,

mdyde

PostSat May 23, 2015 7:11 am

Hello Ronald,

Just to clarify, we've never actually offered any guarantee of life-time service (support). Any company that did that for a product (software) that theoretically has an infinite lifespan would inevitably be doomed to bankruptcy eventually, because providing support directly costs a certain amount of money per-user per-year, and an infinite lifespan is a long time! Also, people usually need lots more help with Hauptwerk when they're new to it (learning how to use it, getting appropriate hardware, setting everything up, etc.), and especially so if they're fairly new to computers (as many Hauptwerk users are), and it wouldn't be fair on us if we had to provide all of that support again to the next person each time that somebody sold their licence. (Or if we did have to, then we'd have to charge more for Hauptwerk in the first place in order to cover that extra cost somehow, which we'd prefer to avoid, to try keep Hauptwerk as affordable as we can.)

We allow people to sell and transfer licences at no cost, but we don't provide support for transferred licences until the recipient pays for a Hauptwerk upgrade. That's very fair to all parties, I think.

This is the excerpt from the licence agreement that covers support:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/support/licensing/

11. SUPPORT

11.1. Support services are usually provided at no additional cost via e-mail for Registered users of the Software for a period of one year after purchase, or until the next major version of the Software is released, whichever is the longer period (*). Milan Digital Audio will make its best efforts to answer reasonable support requests promptly but does not guarantee that such requests will be serviced within a particular time frame, or that any given request will be answered.

(*) The Free Edition of Hauptwerk does not include support. You must purchase a license if you require official support.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Computer hardware / specs