It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 am

Windows: to update or not to update?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Chrisvdk415

Windows: to update or not to update?

PostTue May 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Dear members,

I now have a full-blown PC dedicated to Hauptwerk. Should I allow Windows to update my PC or not? Why?

Thanks,

Chris.

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Windows: to update or not to update?

PostTue May 26, 2015 6:43 pm

[Topic moved]

We always recommend applying all of the latest Windows updates (patches, service packs etc.) to have maximum compatibility with audio and MIDI drivers as well as the latest version of Hauptwerk.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

jbittner

PostWed May 27, 2015 10:47 am

I always keep my machines current with patches and updates. One thing I think I've noticed is that sometimes the Windows update turns services that I have turned off back on, e.g. virus scan and indexing, so if you experience glitches after an update, check these first.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

Frank-Evans

PostWed May 27, 2015 10:30 pm

There are several points of view on this issue....
Currently my "dedicated" Hauptwerk computer is a dual core Intel with an Asus motherboard, 16 Gb memory, 120 Gb SSD and a 500 Gb storage drive. It runs Win7/64 bit Pro with SP1. It has been on the internet once in it's life. Just long enough to activate Windows. All networking and on board audio is disabled, no other software installed except that which is needed by the organ. All services and extras are disabled if not directly needed. That being said... I don't spend time troubleshooting problems with the computer. Hauptwerk runs fine, I have had virtually no glitches since starting with this system. The Hauptwerk 4.2 upgrade went as one has come to expect, flawlessly........
Just another take on the subject... of course the whole mess might go up in smoke tomorrow, but for now I have no intention of allowing Microsoft to put tons of unneeded crap on my system. :twisted:

Chrisvdk415

PostThu May 28, 2015 1:36 am

Thanks for the responses. I ran Windows Update and a mind boggling amount of updates were installed.
After installation, my midi-settings were gone from Hauptwerk together with the "compiled" version of the samples. I had to spend some hours to get this back on track.
Anyway, everything is working now without problem.

Sincerely,

Chris.

kwbmusic

PostThu May 28, 2015 3:27 am

Wouldn't a run of the Hauptwerk backup facility before updating Windows would have been a safeguard to losing any information? Then you just restore, almost without effort!
Keith

Chrisvdk415

PostThu May 28, 2015 3:33 am

Even after I performed the restore, each organ had to be reprocessed for faster loading. I've 16 organs installed so you can imagine it took some time :-)

mdyde

PostThu May 28, 2015 4:25 am

Hello Chris/Keith,

Hauptwerk will always regenerate the caches for all sample sets after restoring a settings backup (to make sure that the caches are in the correct formats for the newly-restored settings).

Applying Windows updates shouldn't in theory affect Hauptwerk's MIDI settings, but presumably some Windows update(s) caused Windows to rename one or more of your USB-MIDI devices/ports, resulting in them appearing to be different/new MIDI ports to Hauptwerk, or for one or more of them to be missing (presumably only temporarily if restoring a Hauptwerk settings backup fixed it).

We've also heard reports of Windows System Restore incorrectly deleting some of Hauptwerk's settings files in the past, but that shouldn't run as a matter of course when applying Windows updates.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs