It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am

Touch screen vs Launchpad for Mac

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Wwhel21

Touch screen vs Launchpad for Mac

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 8:35 am

As a spinoff from the touchscreen Mac posts, I'm looking for opinions on whether to install a single launchpad or a single touchscreen on my macbook pro setup. Current sample sets (that I use more regularly) include Silver Octopus 70, St. Eucaire, and Menesterol.

I am currently using a small 13" macbook monitor and an additional larger screen monitor and a mouse, so I see either option as a step up, and the Acer FT220HQL looks like a good option for the price ($199 on Amazon). The Novation Launchpad is also reduced in price to $99 on Amazon. I currently don't have the space (or funds) for both.

I've scanned posts, but it's still not clear to me whether the launchpad or the touchscreen:

* is quicker/ easier to use while playing and changing stops/ registrations

* is more reliable in terms of finding and triggering controls, especially if you are using multiple sample sets (I imagine the colors on the launchpad can help here)

* is more or less limited in playing larger organs. I have the sense the launchpad - with its 64+ triggers gives more flexibility than a touchscreen would

I'd be particularly interested in the experience of those who are living with one touchscreen or one launchpad and how that has worked out.

Thanks,
Bill

James

Re: Touch screen vs Launchpad for Mac

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 8:57 am

Hi Bill.
I use a single 17" Elo touch screen with a mac pro. It has plenty of room for all the sample sets I have, including the PAB. Most of the music I play is Baroque, so I don't change stops often, if at all, in a particular piece. If the stops are too close together, I can use the mouse. I can also set up combinations, easily. A particular advantage I appreciate is to be able to have the mini controls on the screen at the same time as the organ graphics. I usually have the audio output level up, and maybe one or two others. Of course that can't be done with the launch pad. If you choose the launch pad, I am sure you would need a monitor also for things like voicing, installing new organs, and so forth. If you have an ipad, there are apps that mimic the touch pad, though without the tactile feedback. That also is a possibility.

Wwhel21

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 10:10 am

thanks James. It's good to hear the ELO works with the Mac and that you can fit a larger sample set.

I should clarify: I will still be using the Macbook Pro for setting up organs, etc if I go either route

amun

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 4:26 pm

Hello Bill,

without the tactile feedback
, which is the exact reason, why I prefer the launchpad to a touchscreen under performance conditions.
Due to the tactile feeling of pressing down a moving button to a switching point there is an instant feedback, which needs no visual control.
When hitting a touchscreen the tactile feeling does not tell the player if he really hit the virtual button and if the action intendended was really triggered. A visual control is always necessary. This consumes attention, which better is payed to the performance.
And IMHO hitting a real relatively big button needs less attention than looking for and concentrating on the controlled "striking" of a relatively small virtual button on the "hard" and unresponsive surface of a screen.

For the purpose of programming presets/combinatios/pistons the touchscreen is a good means. IMHO it is faster than mouse plus keyboard.

Rgds,
amun :wink:

Wwhel21

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 7:12 pm

thanks Amun. I ordered a launchpad today!

Bill

Return to Computer hardware / specs