It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:20 pm

Hauptwerk Compatibility with Windows 10

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

kwbmusic

Re: Hauptwerk Compatibility with Windows 10

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 6:34 am

Upgraded my non-Hauptwerk PC to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. Found that two midi/audio interfaces no longer work (Edirol UA-25 and EMU 0404 USB). The EMU didn't work with Windows 8.1 but the Edirol had a driver and did work. Fortunately my Hauptwerk computer now uses the RME400, which has a driver for Windows 10. Though I haven't the courage to change that computer yet!

Other problems include Internet Explorer 11 and Mozilla Firefox, though they load and show their normal screen, they do not work. I'm discovering how to adapt MS Edge to my requirements but now mainly use Chrome, as it, fortunately works. Edge does allow you to import bookmarks and favourites from Internet Explorer.

Apart from the above I seem to have been able to set the Desktop to look like the earlier Windows 7
(and Windows 8.1 when adjusted); so I'll continue with the learning curve to see whether I become confident to upgrade the Hauptwerk computer. Perhaps buried in the confusion of change there is a menu that I can discover to correct the foregoing problems?

Keith

RichardW

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 8:20 am

I might update my non-Hauptwerk PC at some time soon but I can't think of any reason why I would update my Hauptwerk PC.

If you have a working Hauptwerk system why would you want to put that at risk for no good reason?

Windows upgrades have traditionally had problems before the first patch is released., Even without that, you will need to do your homework about whether your current drivers and hardware will still work after the upgrade and will any of the new "improvements" need to be disabled to make things work properly.

All that and your product will not be eligible for any of the excellent support available here from Martin and Brett.
Richard

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 2:35 pm

katnjack wrote:I have tried Windows 10 twice and removed it twice and am back to Windows 7, too much trouble with 10, no full screen for one. Lots of luck if you go to Windows 10.
Jack

I presume you must be referring to a Windows full screen mode which I have no experience with but just to clarify, Hauptwerk's full screen mode works properly in Windows 10. We're still in the testing process but so far there do not appear to be any installation or loading issues with Hauptwerk 4.2.1.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

solotibia

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 7:06 pm

I put my foot in the W10 water, and as a familiarisation exercise I upgraded my non HW MacPro from W8.1 to W10 (a 2007 MacPro 1,1). The upgrade worked seamlessly. This experience gave me confidence to upgrade the Windows side of my HW MacPro 5,1 from W8.1 to W10. The outcome? HW runs without a hitch. BUT! My Edirol UM-880 has no functioning driver for W10 so I had to move the MIDI ports to a spare RME Fireface 400.

It has been written elsewhere that W8.1 drivers would work under W10. Certainly not the situation with the UM-880. I note that others in this thread with more recent Edirol devices have also experienced the same outcome as me.

I have clones of all of my hard disks. So, if an upgrade doesn't work out, I can revert to what was without angst.

Quite frankly, in my installation the W10 audio outcome with HW is the best that I have ever experienced using any version of Windows. My recent preference has been to run HW under OSX, however, W10 might change that, except for the comparatively (to OSX) clunky interface. And, just like W8.1 every now and then, especially in the 30 mins after starup, the HW CPU indicators max out for no apparent reason. Aside from this issue, could the excellent W10 outcome with HW be due to this? http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... udio-users

Cheers,

Ian McLean
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs