It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 am

Best Touchscreen Technology

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

b_physics_guy

Best Touchscreen Technology

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 6:17 pm

I have an optical touchscreen. When I first got it about a year ago I could probably select the correct stop 85% of the time, but it has become so unreliable that I no longer use it. I was wondering which of the other technologies (projected capacitive, acoustic wave, something else?) works best for hauptwerk. I don't mind spending ~$200 more for something that works better, and I dont really care about picture quality.

Lauwerk

Re: Best Touchscreen Technology

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Greetings!

I do not claim to be an expert, but I can report (as I have elsewhere in the Forum) that my second brand of touchscreen greatly improves upon the first. In March/April I ordered Elo model 1930L just as a shipment was due to arrive in LA. The version I have is based on projected capacitance, which may have become their dominant approach. The touch accuracy is superb, extending a little beyond the screen image (I can call up the retracting Windows task bar with my finger). The front glass (yes, the FRONT surface is glass, not plastic) is completely flat and smooth: a "zero bezel" design. The picture is extremely clear because both layers in front of the monitor are glass. The unit itself is "open frame," meaning that it does not come with a back case or stand. It does, however, have a standard 100mm VESA mounting capability in the back, and it can be used landscape or portrait. I have used leftover speaker grill cloth as a back cover. You can check out the specs at elo.com. I can also recommend www.touchwindow.com as the marketer through which I made the purchase.

Good luck!

Don
Don Vlazny

engrssc

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Except for the labeling issue (which some have sorta gotten around) a LaunchPad can be very reliable and reasonable cost wise as well. 8) Not esp good in high ambient light conditions as far as the internal back lit LED is concerned, but then neither is a touch screen.

Each of the L/P's I use have semi permanent labels (according a particular sample set). When I change organs, I plug in a different LaunchPad which has appropriate labels. Not a perfect solution either because instead of switching labels, I have to switch LaunchPads. Speaking of a perfect world, this "solution" isn't a contributor to that. :o

Rgds,
Ed

kwbmusic

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 8:36 pm

After researching touchscreens I was not happy with their performance and reliability and so also opted to Launchpads. Three in my case. I use transparency overlays for each organ, fastened with Velcro strips in the corners. Fairly simple and quick to change. Through trial and error I created my own transparencies, however others provide them for a small charge.
(I would be apprehensive in changing Launchpads themselves for each organ as I understand PC's can do strange things with USB connections in those circumstances.)
Keith

telemanr

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 10:04 pm

I use two large HP Compaq L2206tm touch screens which can be moved from portrait to landscape. The stands they come with are heavy enough that tapping on the screens quite hard doesn't cause any noticeable movement of the screens. So no extra mounts were necessary, something I had to use with my earlier touch screen. These can also be tilted back or forward from the vertical to avoid light reflections and stay firmly when positioned. I use them in portrait mode usually. I can swipe across stops as well as choosing them individually. I couldn't be happier since I don't have to bother about overlays or changing anything but the organ I want to play.
Last edited by telemanr on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Enns

CHRIS 037

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 8:51 am

Hi,

This might interest some of you.

I'm still using the old Magic Touch overlay touch screens on my Mac Pro's.

I found them increasingly unreliable as the OS X upgrades came along.

Then a month or so back, I went to their site again and found a group of new Mac drivers. I got one for my Lion computer, and another for my Yosemite one (though I don't use a touch screen on that one right now). The Lion driver works for just one monitor, but the one for Yosemite will drive two separate touch screens.

I also found that for the new drivers to work, one has to completely uninstall the older one(s). I didn't realize it, but when I upgraded in the past, each one would go in there somewhere, but not replace the old ones. When I started uninstalling, I had about 5 old ones that kept coming up for deleting.

Then, finally, when I installed the new one, it worked just great. Very accurate after being calibrated.

New life for the older technology.

Leo Chris. :)

ChangedForever

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Telemanr - L2206tm touchscreens; yipes - those are 21" wide (or tall)?!?.... do you have those still in their cases or have you removed them from their cases and mounted in your own custom enclosure?.... Their price isn't "out of range" as they are about $280 - 300 at a variety of sources....

I imagine they have to have a usb port to use them - are using a port hub for them?....

Thanks,
Mark

ChangedForever

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 4:58 pm

Chris - I've seen some of those overlays on eBay. Do they use real tiny almost invisible wires and the glue onto the lcd panel? Wouldn't be a bad idea to save a few hundred dollars......

Thanks,
Mark

Return to Computer hardware / specs