It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:07 am

Turning off the display on an iMac

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

ten87

Turning off the display on an iMac

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 10:41 am

I am using a new iMac (running 10.10.4 OS X Yosemite) in a church installation, where it will basically run as a headless system. The problem is I can't turn off the display or even use a screen saver, because Hauptwerk stops responding when either of those kick in. I have checked the box that says " Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off". Does anyone know a way around this? The computer is on 24/7, and I have the display brightness turned down all the way, but would like to be able to turn off the display.

In hindsight, I should have gotten a Mac Mini and just turned off the monitor, I guess.

Terry

ten87

Re: Turning off the display on an iMac

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 2:54 pm

I figured it out. The one thing I HATE about Apple, is that they think they know what's best for you, and sometimes make it difficult or impossible to do what you want to do. The fix was simple, but I would have never figured it out without this information from an internet search:

https://www.ihash.eu/2014/12/disable-app-nap-system-wide-os-x-yosemite/

App Nap! Good if you're on battery, but not if you're running a pro audio application!

Terry

Marco

Re: Turning off the display on an iMac

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 1:43 pm

how do you actually turn off the monitor? I thought it was impossible to do on iMacs (unlike macbook pros where the lowest level of brightness is actually monitor off)

Return to Computer hardware / specs