It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

iPad Pro as Portable Music Reader

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

sarthurwest

Re: iPad Pro as Portable Music Reader

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 2:34 am

I have an iPad Pro and use it with ForScore and it works very well. I also have the Apple Pencil and it is the best stylus that I have ever used - great small point, excellent palm rejection. I just wish that there was better music writing software available. Like another user posted above, I am hoping that StaffPad will be ported over to the iOS platform as it would be an ideal program in the iOS ecosystem.

Anyone have any suggestions for music writing software for use on an iPad? I've looked at Notion and it seems to be the best that I've looked at so far, but I haven't purchased it. There were some pretty negative reviews of its ability to work with a stylus so that one can write on an iPad as one would on staff paper.

sjkartchner

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 3:46 pm

Touch Notation by Kawai: http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/touch-notation-by-kawai/. I haven't tried it but if updated for the iPad pro, may be a decent option.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

sjkartchner

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 10:02 am

I now have the Apple pencil and have been using that with forScore and it has a lot of potential for marking up a score wth fingerings, performance notes/cues, harmonic analysis, etc. The only problem I am seeing is that it occasionally freezes up, and I have a problem report into the company.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

macpianoman

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 9:32 pm

G3 wrote:Since my previous post, I have purchased the iPad Pro and also use forScore as the reader. When playing for masses and a current production I'm playing piano for, I use it for everything. When it stands in portrait mode, it produces a large, easy readable page of music. When in landscape, it shows two pages side-by-side, which is great if you know the piece already. A little smaller, but not bad. I use an AirTurn device with a foot pedal when I play piano. When I play organ, I use an app from forScore on my iPhone called "Cue" and set it on the rail above the third keyboard. It's easier to use for page turning that reaching far to the music rack. For my Hauptwerk setup at home, I intend to wire the swell pedal switch for page turns. It will connect to the AirTurn product. There is an app for the iPad called Genius Scan. I purchased that and it works great for scanning sheet music and allows you to create multi-page PDFs. I store them in DropBox and pull them into forScore when needed. One more comment: I'm 75 and have recently had cataract surgery. I have 20/15 vision in both eyes but a monumental number of floaters. With the iPad Pro, I find it extremely easy to read because the music is always in the same place. Music lamps are no longer needed...a huge plus for me.

I've been using Forscore with normal Ipad for a long time now at church. I just use my Brother print/fax/scan to just scan music and send right to the ipad through my email to create the scans and then go directly into Forscore. I've been considering the Ipad Pro and thanks for the tip on Cue. I'm going to give that a try.

bomb20

PostSat Mar 12, 2016 11:17 am

I have also been considering an iPad Pro with forScore combination for Organ playing. I just noticed this thread which has been quite informative, particularly for page turning ideas.

Some of the downsides of the iPad would be the usual Apple things (no simple way to get a PDF on the device from a Windows computer), only one page at a time (double the page turns) and the price. In many cases I have a Sibelius version of the music I play and could format exactly for the device if the forScrore scaling was not up to it.
As I don't have an iPad Pro to check I have not been able to try this myself, I do know that displaying music on an iPad mini looks good because I did try that on one.

I did not know about the new Samsung but that is heavy and will have lower (half?) linear pixel density.

telemanr

PostSat Mar 12, 2016 12:26 pm

I use Dropbox to keep music PDFs on my Windows 10 computer and also on my iPad Air so no problem seeing the same PDF on either device. iPad pro shouldn't be any different.
Rob Enns

Romanos

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 12:08 pm

While the samsung is neat, it will not be sitting on any music wrack... Check a side-profile of that device.
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs