It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:39 pm

are there allreay 128 GB Pc's for Hauptwerk ?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

jcwall

Re: are there allreay 128 GB Pc's for Hauptwerk ?

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 4:03 pm

I have just put a new Hauptwerk system together using an Asus X99 Deluxe 3.1 motherboard, a i7-5930K CPU and a Corsair DDR4 LXP 128GB kit. It all works very well together. It was quite difficult finding reliable information as to whether the motherboard would definitively support that amount of RAM, as earlier releases of the board only stated 64GB - the BIOS has been regularly updated. The ASUS supported memory lists were out of date but the Corsair lists were accurate. I also discovered, (through trying and having to return the board) that, currently, the Asrock X99 WS will not support 16GB DIMMS, at least not non-ECC. The information on their site is not clear - an attractive board but not for the DIMMS I wanted to use.

jkinkennon

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 11:07 pm

I'm sure happy for this confirmation of 128 GB of DDR4 for the latest Intel i7's. After my experience with the Mac mini 16 GB limit I was all too ready to believe the Intel specs that still say 64 GB. Also saw a PC World write-up stating the same (128) so I guess I've got everything I need except the cash. Will go from 32 GB to 64 GB soon in any case. $279 to $299 at Fry's for a pair of Corsair Vengeance 16's. That will fill four of the eight slots.

MrNhanduc

PostWed Nov 04, 2015 3:03 am

jcwall wrote:I have just put a new Hauptwerk system together using an Asus X99 Deluxe 3.1 motherboard, a i7-5930K CPU and a Corsair DDR4 LXP 128GB kit. It all works very well together. It was quite difficult finding reliable information as to whether the motherboard would definitively support that amount of RAM, as earlier releases of the board only stated 64GB - the BIOS has been regularly updated. The ASUS supported memory lists were out of date but the Corsair lists were accurate. I also discovered, (through trying and having to return the board) that, currently, the Asrock X99 WS will not support 16GB DIMMS, at least not non-ECC. The information on their site is not clear - an attractive board but not for the DIMMS I wanted to use.

Many thanks for sharing your experience! The Asrock motherboard is ment to be in a workstation set-up, which might explain the lacking support for 16 GB DIMMs, though it's a little weird. If you look up the Intel website, you will see that the 5930K officially 'only' supports 64 GB...enjoy your PC!

jkinkennon

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 5:07 pm

I've decided not to fight the future. Here's a combination of hardware that's running 96 GB and has two slots remaining to go to 128 GB if necessary. Motherboard is an MSI X99A Gaming 7 with an Intel i7-5820 with Corsair Hydro H80i cooler. I'm running a pair of SSDs, approx. 250 GB for Windows 10 and another 250 GB drive for the HW cache.

Loaded the full Goerlitz Surround sample set less some of the action sounds and have 19 GB of free RAM. Gosh, the Mac mini didn't have 19 total!

murph

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Aha!! So I'm not the only one to load it with 19Gb free from 96.
Lets now assume it takes 77Gb including OS in full 24bit.

Eric Sagmuller

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 7:03 pm

jcwall wrote:I have just put a new Hauptwerk system together using an Asus X99 Deluxe 3.1 motherboard, a i7-5930K CPU and a Corsair DDR4 LXP 128GB kit. It all works very well together. It was quite difficult finding reliable information as to whether the motherboard would definitively support that amount of RAM, as earlier releases of the board only stated 64GB - the BIOS has been regularly updated. The ASUS supported memory lists were out of date but the Corsair lists were accurate.

Hi,

Where did you see that the board supports 128 GB? I checked both ASUS website and Corsair, but neither of them list 128 GB. I even checked on several MSI boards that MSI list as 128 GB but Corsair only show 64 GB, although they make the 16 GB modules. Obviously some of these boards are working with the higher memory, as others here have found. My guess is some vendors are just behind on updating the capability.

Eric

notdefined

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Gigabyte motherboards (if you aren't frightened by some assembly required) that use DDR4 memory have been upgraded to handle 16GB dimms. In the case of boards with 8 memory slots, that is a total of 128GB can be installed.

jkinkennon

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 1:01 am

Eric, I sent you build info that had the wrong vendor listed for the DDR4 memory. It's Corsair, who made the module I'm using rather than Crucial. Here is what worked on the MSI X99A Gaming 7 motherboard:
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666 Mhz 1.2V 288 Pin

As a 2 module kit (2X16GB Modules) they are available at Fry's for 299.99 as part 8582939 and UPC 843591069557. I use three of these kits at about $900 for 96GB which utilizes 6 of my eight memory slots.

I'm still not sure why Intel lists the max as 64GB for processors such as the i7-5820K. I suppose they may just not have gotten around to updating the specs OR they may prefer to see the Xeon processors in memory intensive applications either for marketing reasons or because of issues like we see with the l-o-n-g time that it takes to unload that much memory with this configuration -- just guessing.

I feel safe in saying that the combination clearly works in our Hauptwerk application and have not seen any strange behavior from other applications. Windows 10 happily reports the available memory and puts it to use. I too would like to hear of any official updates to manufacturer's recommendations.

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 8:05 am

John,

Yeah I had figured out you meant Corsair. The MB you list actually has reasonably good reviews by users on Newegg. The ASUS boards in general seemed to have more complaints, and typically are more expensive. I'll probably go with the board you used. Actually 64 GB of memory are fine for me at this point, I'd just like the option to upgrade without major component replacement in the future.

Thanks,
Eric

MrNhanduc

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 am

I have 128 GB running on a MSI motherboard where the official support list does not support the RAM...Also the i7-5820K officially can handle only 64 GB. I had to flash the BIOS, but afterwards it works without problems. So support lists, even official Intel information, can be outdated.

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 2:57 pm

MrNhanduc wrote:I have 128 GB running on a MSI motherboard where the official support list does not support the RAM...Also the i7-5820K officially can handle only 64 GB. I had to flash the BIOS, but afterwards it works without problems. So support lists, even official Intel information, can be outdated.

Out of curiosity, do you know specifically which MSI MB you used ?

Thanks,
Eric
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs