Search:
Submit Search

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 SSD

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 SSD

Postby counterpoint » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:52 am

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9702/sams ... 56gb-512gb

Incredible performance for the price. If I was building a new Hauptwerk PC (which I might soon) I would definitely take a look at these. Just wanted to throw it out there.
counterpoint

Re: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 SSD

Postby MrNhanduc » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:33 am

They are potentially very interesting and more affordable than Intel 750 SSD's. Now think of a motherboard with two M.2 slots (PCI-E 3.0 x4 of course), and putting two of these 512 GB puppies in RAID0... :D
MrNhanduc

Postby mdyde » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:45 am

With the latest 'extreme performance' SSDs, bear in mind that your CPU will be the bottleneck anyway for Hauptwerk organ loading speed:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14556#p108156
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14624#p108758
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Postby MrNhanduc » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:52 am

I know that subject. I wonder if the performance loss is a percentage or if it tops out somewhere. I have seen different numbers of read speeds of SSD's. relative to their maximum (benchmark). Usually the actual load speed of an organ is 20-30% lower than the max. of the SSD.

Example: using a BX100 combined with an i7-5820K (seq. read approximately 510-520 MB/s), I see load speeds (after CPU processing) around 400 MB/s (hence, 20-30 % lower).

I also know people with similar drives but 2 in RAID0, reaching slightly more than 1000 MB/s. (which was the double of using a single drive). So there was a linear scaling.

Now consider a drive that has a seq. read of 2000 MB/s (combined with same CPU), will I reach around 1500 MB/s (20% lower) or will it top out around 1000 MB/s because of processor limits?

If I get the chance I will test this on a new build.
MrNhanduc

Postby mdyde » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:44 am

I would expect that the maximum overall read rate would be limited by the CPU (with extremely fast storage), i.e. that you would get very roughly the same overall read rate ('Sample loader: approx. avg. overall data read rate' figure in the log) with a given CPU, regardless of the storage (beyond a certain point, i.e. assuming storage that is sufficiently fast the CPU is the bottleneck).
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Postby counterpoint » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:36 pm

So, if the CPU is the bottleneck then more getting a faster cpu or one with more cores or a dual-cpu system would allow you to overcome that bottleneck and achieve even faster performance with Hauptwerk? I've been out of the loop for a while but am starting to get back into it all and continue my project.
counterpoint

Postby mdyde » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:44 pm

counterpoint wrote:So, if the CPU is the bottleneck then more getting a faster cpu or one with more cores or a dual-cpu system would allow you to overcome that bottleneck and achieve even faster performance with Hauptwerk?

With regarding to organ loading speed, and if you already have a fast SSD (i.e. if the bottleneck is CPU speed), then yes, although more than 4-5 cores aren't likely to have any significant benefit for loading speed, since Hauptwerk will currently use up to 5 cores when loading organs. (More won't hurt, and will still be taken full advantage of for real-time performance, e.g. polyphony.)

I.e. with a fast SSD, the fastest per-core CPU with at least 4-5 cores should give you the fastest loading times.
Best regards,
Martin.

mdyde

Postby counterpoint » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:03 pm

mdyde wrote:I.e. with a fast SSD, the fastest per-core CPU with at least 4-5 cores should give you the fastest loading times.

That's good. I prefer to have the CPU be the bottleneck as opposed to the other way around. At least this way you know that it is being utilized to its full extent rather than worry if the memory or SSD or whatever kind of bus isn't feeding it information as fast as it is capable of handling. There's always faster processors coming out every year and there's always overclocking if you really need to squeeze out some extra performance (although I'm not sure how Hauptwerk handles OC'd processors). I'm just glad the days of slow mechanical HDDs are behind me. Now Samsung just needs to come out with a 1TB+ M.2 SSD or a PCIe card.
counterpoint

Postby steve till » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:44 am

Oh good!!
I just purchased a slightly used 2012 6 core Mac Pro with both 256 GB SSD
and a 1 TB regular hard drive. Also has 32 GB ram with 4 more slots available.
I am hoping I did the right thing at least for right now. And maybe I can have
Hauptwerk actually playing here in a few months after 'owning' it for years.
Steve.
steve till

Postby MrNhanduc » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:56 am

counterpoint wrote:
mdyde wrote:I.e. with a fast SSD, the fastest per-core CPU with at least 4-5 cores should give you the fastest loading times.

That's good. I prefer to have the CPU be the bottleneck as opposed to the other way around. At least this way you know that it is being utilized to its full extent rather than worry if the memory or SSD or whatever kind of bus isn't feeding it information as fast as it is capable of handling. There's always faster processors coming out every year and there's always overclocking if you really need to squeeze out some extra performance (although I'm not sure how Hauptwerk handles OC'd processors). I'm just glad the days of slow mechanical HDDs are behind me. Now Samsung just needs to come out with a 1TB+ M.2 SSD or a PCIe card.

An overclock is nothing more than a higher clockspeed of the CPU. Hauptwerk will have no problem with that, since most CPU's vary their clockspeed continously (if you do not change some settings in BIOS). Hence an overclock should give faster loading when the CPU is the bottleneck, though I wonder whether the difference will be noticable.
MrNhanduc

Return to Computer hardware / specs