It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

(Relative) newbie advice on hardware requirements.

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Mathijs

(Relative) newbie advice on hardware requirements.

PostMon Nov 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi,

I've been using Hauptwerk for about a year now (very very pleased; changed my life, you might say). I play on the Trost Organ (a fairly big Baroque organ, very lovely, but an unfortunate pedal range) and the Walcker organ (a Romantic behemoth) and I just acquired the Rotterdam Laurenskerk organ (a very big and versatile organ that I intend to use for Messiaen especially (and Bach's toccata and fuga in F with the high pedal notes :) )). I noticed some performance issues with the Walcker organ (I've had it for half a year) when I played a full tutti, but it was mostly ok (as a workaround I disabled the sub-couplers). I play with head-phones on and play with two small speakers maybe twice a year when my mother comes to visit (no Messiaen then :) ).

When I tried to load the Laurens organ, Hauptwerk informed me that I did not have enough memory. I assume it meant RAM and not disk-space as there I should have plenty. Indeed I have 16GB of RAM and I now read that 23.5GB would be required. Then again the Walcker worked reasonably well and apparently required 19.9GB.

I should say that I have no interest in getting a state of the art computer with big memory and all that, unless it is absolutely necessary. A small sacrifice in realism would be preferred to a big memory upgrade. Computers are not part of the hobby for me. It's just that you cannot play a real organ with the headphones on (well, you could, but the neighbours would still complain).

My question is: do I need an upgrade, or is there some workaround? And if I need an upgrade, what is the minimal thing I have to do? It's a basic question, but I know very little about this stuff (when I write RAM it might seem like I know what that means, but I haven't a clue. :) ) Thanks in advance for any advice (this forum has been amazing on that front!)

josq

Re: (Relative) newbie advice on hardware requirements.

PostMon Nov 09, 2015 5:47 pm

Glad to hear you are enjoying Hauptwerk so much ;)

You can find some relevant instructions here: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/t ... organ.html. In particular this:
you should mute all the rear ranks and use only the front portion of the sample set (i.e. the wet only option). Load all front ranks in 16 bits while the most used ranks try loading in 20 bit depth. To mute the rear ranks, see the screenshot for an illustration how to identify the rear ranks (there are two kinds - a normal rear rank and a tremmed rear rank), all of these may be selected and muted (by clicking on the box near to the "Rank enabled?" question and selecting "No"

Mathijs

PostMon Nov 09, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm embarrassed. I saw this very pertinent info right after I posted my question. I guess good fora like this make me lazy... The Laurens organ is up and running and it sounds great. It seems like 16GB could be fine for me even with very big organs.

mdyde

PostTue Nov 10, 2015 4:10 am

Hello Mathijs,

This document:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf

... (linked from the 'Support | Requirements' section of the main website) has some general background information on computer hardware and RAM that might possibly help in your situation.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs