It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:35 pm

Overclocking

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Overclocking

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 1:39 pm

I've seen this pop up from time to time, not necessarily here but on the internet, computer magazines and so on, and just read this article >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421233,00.asp

Not that I have any plans to even consider messing with my computer in the first place, but was wondering..... Would there be any reason or benefit gained by overclocking your cpu for Hauptwerk?

As the old saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it (and mine ain't broke). :mrgreen:

Marc

RichardW

Re: Overclocking

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 4:59 pm

It should make your computer run faster, however, I have a "no overclocking" policy.

The trade-off is that you are reducing the reliability of your system. If you change the settings you could be lucky and get a performance boost but you could just as easily get an unstable system with a shorter life expectancy.

Some enthusiasts do it as a hobby. It is a bit like the people who like taking their cars apart. Nice as a hobby but not for me, thank you.
Richard

engrssc

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 7:01 pm

RichardW wrote:Some enthusiasts do it as a hobby. It is a bit like the people who like taking their cars apart. Nice as a hobby but not for me, thank you.

Something like playing Video Slots?

Rgds,
Ed

sjkartchner

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 pm

With the right processor (such as those ending in K in the Intel lineup), significant performance gains can be realized with overclocking. However, care must be taken to adequately address the additional heat produced in order not to shorten the processor's life. Just as with Hauptwerk itself, there are multiple levels of overclocking expertise, and rather significant overclocking can be achieved even through the simple software front-ends available from motherboard manufacturers (such as Asus).

Whether overclocking is useful in a particular Hauptwerk setup depends upon the desired results in increased polyphony and the ability to run a high-quality convolution reverb weighed against the baseline system. For instance, the 3930K processor in my system is entirely adequate for my needs without overclocking, although I have dabbled with overclocking at times.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

ernst

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 9:13 pm

sjkartchner wrote:For instance, the 3930K processor in my system is entirely adequate for my needs without overclocking, although I have dabbled with overclocking at times.

I happen to have the same processor. I overclocked it about 50% using the original Intel software, of course tested it thoroughly and it has served me well for over 3 years now. I tried but did not overclock the memory - not stable enough. You have to use hydraulic CPU cooling anyway, so I bought a high capacity one which I now can run at low speed of the ventilators for noise reduction. I also had to add a ventilator pointing at the motherboard, because the bits that regulate the CPU power otherwise get very hot.
As a side note, though SSDs are amply available now, that was not the case at the time where I live, so I made a RAID 0 with three 1 GB 7200 rpm HDs (just for the caches and sample sets) which still work flawlessly to date and indeed is very fast.

I don´t know whether this boost was necessary for my Hauptwerk use, but regardless I want to get more out of my equipment as a principle. And sure it is a hobby as well. Both my PCs (home use and Hauptwerk) are overclocked approx. 50%. And reliable! Until now.

Ernst

Return to Computer hardware / specs