It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:01 pm

Computers for Hauptwerk

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Thomday

Computers for Hauptwerk

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Will Hauptwerk run successfully on a Mac Mini computer? Our other option is a quad core macbook pro laptop. System is currently running on a quad core macbook pro tower with 16 gigs of ram.
Thanks
Thom

profeluisegarcia

Re: Computers for Hauptwerk

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Hello¡
My 6 "clients" (me included) are very satisfied with Mac Book :D

Opus1954

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 3:28 pm

I have a MacMini 2012 i7 with 8Gb... running with CC-Metz ext. Very satisfied. Maybe I want to install 16Gb but I have no problems. I have upgraded the OS two times with no issues. I upgrade HW as soon as an update becomes available, and everything works as it should.

I have also bought a 2011 MacBook, with HW, but don't use HW frequently. As a PC user (work as consultant on MS based product) I am still surprised about the trouble free operation and the easy of use of the Mac machines. Have a good feeling about my investments...

mdyde

PostSat Jan 09, 2016 4:35 am

Hello Thom,

(Topic moved here.)

Thomday wrote:Will Hauptwerk run successfully on a Mac Mini computer? Our other option is a quad core macbook pro laptop. System is currently running on a quad core macbook pro tower with 16 gigs of ram.

Hauptwerk will certainly run on a Mac Mini, and my understanding from other forum posts is that a number of Hauptwerk users use them successfully for Hauptwerk.

Note that the current Mac Mini models are only dual-core, so even with the top CPU option (3 GHz dual-core i7) they wouldn't be sufficient for very large organs. Both the current Mac Mini and current MacBook Pro models are also limited to 16 GB of RAM.

My understanding is that Apple is expected to update the MacBook Pro range (and probably the Mac Mini range) with the new Intel 'Skylake' CPUs early in 2016, which are likely to give a significant boost in performance:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

I'm very much hoping they might also allow 32 GB to be installed in one or both ranges (although I don't know that).

Hence my advice would be to wait until those updated models are released, if time allows.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Thomday

PostSat Jan 09, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks to all:
Our other option for a computer would be a macbook pro quad core with 16 gigs of ram. This would be comparable to the quad core tower that is running our current home system. Sample set in both cases is/would be the Jensen 3-35, along with Altiverb and Reaper, which is what we have for our home system.
I recently purchased a used 15" quad core mac book pro for my 'new' computer. It is using 10.10.5, and the tower is using 10.9. Everything seems to be working fine.
You can find used macs on several web sites for very reasonable prices.
Thom

Return to Computer hardware / specs