It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am

Mac Mini Power On with AC

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

barrylumpkin

Mac Mini Power On with AC

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 1:50 pm

I'd like for this to happen...

1. Power down my Mac Mini 2010 Mavericks via Hauptwerk.

2. Turn the Mac Mini's power strip off.

3. Turn the power strip on.

4. Mac Mini powers on automatically.

I have a PC that powers on this way via BIOS on another installation, but fail to see how to do the same with the Mac.

Is it possible?
Barry

mdyde

Re: Mac Mini Power On with AC

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 1:56 pm

[Topic moved here, since it isn't a technical support request for the Hauptwerk software per-se.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

pkuzan

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 3:37 pm

No, the only way to turn a Mac Mini on after Hauptwerk has shut it down is to press the power switch.

The only way to make a Mac Mini "wake on power on" is to shut it down dirty with a UPS managing the AC.

There are loads of articles on this topic, here's one http://superuser.com/questions/158654/how-to-force-mac-to-into-dirty-shutdown-state-on-every-power-off

Cheers,
Paul

organtechnology

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 6:39 pm

There is a way in some Mac Mini to make it reboot to 'on' after a power fail.

Open the Energy Saver preference pane and check the box for RESTART AUTOMATICALLY AFTER POWER FAILURE

See http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/02/ ... ilure.html

I am not sure which versions of OSX will have this but it can be done on some Mac Mini.

I have also had clients put the Mac Mini to 'sleep' and then turn the power off.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 5:12 am

Just to emphasize: it's *extremely* important that you never cut the power to a computer without having shut it down fully first, otherwise you're highly likely to corrupt it, including the operating system and any applications that might be running (such as Hauptwerk).

It might of course very occasionally happen unavoidably in a power outage, but if you do it regularly then you almost certainly will end up eventually with a corrupted system (probably quite quickly).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 5:33 am

Maybe over simplistic, but I found the easiest way to turn on a Mac Mini is by using a small (miniature) 12 VDC solenoid mounted to a bracket, that when energized. pushes in the start button on the rear on the Mac Mini. To shut it off, I use the computer off feature that Martin built into the Hauptwerk program. One push button applies a short pulse of voltage to the solenoid another push button operates the H/W computer shutdown feature. Simple, cheap and it works.

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 9:46 am

mdyde wrote:Just to emphasize: it's *extremely* important that you never cut the power to a computer without having shut it down fully first, otherwise you're highly likely to corrupt it, including the operating system and any applications that might be running (such as Hauptwerk).

It might of course very occasionally happen unavoidably in a power outage, but if you do it regularly then you almost certainly will end up eventually with a corrupted system (probably quite quickly).

Hi Martin,

Excellent point. In our case, the power is removed only after the computer is shutdown using the Hauptwerk 'shut computer down' command.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

hmzeuner

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 3:00 pm

I have a partial solution to your question which works once every day. In the Energy Saver Preference Panel I click on "Schedule" and set the Start Up Time for "Every Day" to 5am (or any time before I get up at the earliest). I don't set a time for Sleep/ShutDown/Restart. So when I first switch on the power for my Mac Mini (after 5am ;-)) it starts up automatically. I do the usual shut down via Hauptwerk and switch off power after the shut down of the Mac is completed.

There are two small drawbacks of this method:
1. If I want to start the Mac a second time on the same day I have to press the power button of the Mac.
2. If I forget to switch off power after the shut down, the Mac starts up at 5am the next morning. Oh well...

Best wishes,
Hansmartin (Hamburg).

notdefined

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 1:16 pm

This might work: [urlhttp://www.amazon.com/Take-Charge-Smart-Power-Strip/dp/B005DTBCD2[/url] After your computer shuts down, the switch powers everything else down. Turn the switch back on and if configured to do os, your mini will also restart.

Return to Computer hardware / specs