It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:09 pm

One button power down..

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

notdefined

One button power down..

PostThu Feb 04, 2016 3:23 pm

I could not find the original post, so this a report of my latest tinkering. I came across a auto sensing power strip, Smart Strip advanced power strip, that allows me to power off everything connected to it when it senses that the computer has been powered down. I have the Hauptwerk computer plugged into the control outlet via a remote controlled switch and the lights, amps, etc. plugged into the switched outlets. I configured Hauptwerk to shut the computer down when a particular piston is pressed and now I just have to consolidate that switch with the remote power on. The computer bios is configured to power up when mains power is applied, so it is one button on and one button to start the power down sequence. There are several manufacturers of smart switches like the one I got, you can find them on Amazon and eBay. HomeDespot has the Belkin variety, although you will probably have to order it.

IainStinson

Re: One button power down..

PostThu Feb 04, 2016 7:22 pm

I've successfully used similar power strips (which turn on the slave sockets when the master socket draws (sufficient) current) for a number of computer setups. However, I think you might need more control to get a silent (with no nasty noises or thumbs from the speakers) , "one push" startup and shutdown for the whole of your Hauptwerk system.

You might look at http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10097 for some discussion.

Iain

Return to Computer hardware / specs