It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 am

CPU performance

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Timo

CPU performance

PostMon Feb 15, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm finishing my new computer for Hauptwerk and thought to report my experience. Originally I was inspired by the big performance of processors nowadays and tried to figure out what kind of polyphony to expect. So originally I checked the PassMark CPU benchmark index for some processors and finally decided to work with i7-6700K, which has index value of 11014. My previous processor Q6600 has index value 2988, so I would expect quite an improvement in performance.

Firstly, I run the PassMark test for both computers and you can see the results in
http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=56413023716 for the old one and http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=56336015012 for the new one. No overclocking in either one.

Secondly, for polyphony test I used Caen with compressed 16 bit single loop samples but all other features enabled. The size of the material is about 5,8 GB thus nearly hitting the limits of my old computer. The criterium for measurement was to modify the polyphony limit until the CPU and polyphony bars of Hauptwerk travel hand by hand, so this should resemble the real dynamic polyphony. This is not very exact, but usefull at least to me.

And the results:
Code: Select all
CPU         PassMark index      Polyphony
Q6600          2989               2016   
i7-6700K      11163               6016

So roughly speaking the polyphony is about two thirds to one half of the CPU benchmark index by PassMark. It would be intriguing to know what kind of numbers others have obtained.

This new computer is pretty amazing. I can easily play using only 128 for latency (2,7 ms). I just had to disable WinSAT, Windows System Assessment Tool, that is a maintenance task in Scheduled Tasks because that decided to start its analysis randomly and jamn the computer for few seconds, but since then everything looks pretty good. I have a Samsung 950 PRO SSD disk on M.2 bus for organ cache and now I can load the Caen in 15 seconds while previously it took several minutes. I just keep wondering, why I didn't do this earlier.

Timo

Return to Computer hardware / specs