It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:16 am

Keytec Touchscreen issues

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Angelina_angie_oh

Keytec Touchscreen issues

PostWed Feb 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Update: 2-18-16

Calibration issue resolved.

Issue remaining: cursor jumping. I would LIKE for the cursor to "jump" to wherever my finger touches on the keytec screen. Ideas? Thanks.

At the recommendation of a colleague, I tried restarting the Mac with JUST the keytec plugged in. (Unplugged the apple monitor DVI and USB), and also switched the USB of the USB-XD dongle to another port that have a higher chance of being the "first one" read by the computer when it starts.
Also was sent a new driver from December 2015, uninstalled old driver using uninstaller, installed this new one and restarted.
After all that, restarted and recalibrated, this seems to have fixed the issue of calibration!

Issue remains: cursor having to be ON the keytec touch screen for it to work properly. The cursor should jump to where it's tapped even if it had been on another monitor...

Hello,

I recently acquired a keytec touch screen, with the black USB-XD controller box. The "correct" driver was installed on my Mac running 10.11.3. (I emailed keytec support who confirmed that their latest driver was 10.8-9 and that it should work fine with mine). Issue: calibration; touch accuracy is ok on the upper left area of the screen, way off on the right and bottom.

Tried many ways of calibrating. Here are some of the issues :
1. Even after calibrating with both 5 and 25 point, it remains that the touch accuracy is way off, especially on the right side of the screen and the bottom.
2. I tried tracing my finger around the edge of the screen and I get a box with about an inch of space between the box and the actual edge where I was tracing along the edge
3. When touching the screen, unless the cursor is seen on the keytec, it assumes that I'm touching the other screen. So in order to use the keytec to pull stops, I would have to physically move the cursor to that screen and then tapping, which kind of destroys the purpose of having the screen
4. The cursor SHOULD technically "jump" to wherever my finger touches on the screen. It works that way with my iPad which I had been using as an extension of my main apple monitor. It doesn't. See "3".
5. I've tried rotating the keytec screen and calibrating with it at 90° etc. same results.
6. Tried plugging it into my MacBook, same result.
7. Tried moving the menu bar to the touch screen this making that the main monitor. Same results.
8. Uninstalled. Reinstalled. Restarted computer. Tried this process several times to make sure it wasn't the driver not installing properly.
9. I had tried other drivers listed on the keytec site as well, nope. Uninstalled completely before reinstalling the newest one that had, using their uninstaller.

Anything else I should try short of sending this to keytec and having it replaced for >$193 plus shipping and handling?
Last edited by Angelina_angie_oh on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

organtechnology

Re: Keytec Touchscreen issues

PostWed Feb 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Angelina_angie_oh wrote:Hello,

I recently acquired a keytec touch screen, with the black USB-XD controller box. The "correct" driver was installed on my Mac running 10.11.3. (I emailed keytec support who confirmed that their latest driver was 10.8-9 and that it should work fine with mine). Issue: calibration; touch accuracy is ok on the upper left area of the screen, way off on the right and bottom.

Tried many ways of calibrating. Here are some of the issues :
1. Even after calibrating with both 5 and 25 point, it remains that the touch accuracy is way off, especially on the right side of the screen and the bottom.
2. I tried tracing my finger around the edge of the screen and I get a box with about an inch of space between the box and the actual edge where I was tracing along the edge
3. When touching the screen, unless the curser is seen on the keytec, it assumes that I'm touching the other screen. So in order to use the keytec to pull stops, I would have to physically move the curser to that screen and then tapping, which kind of destroys the purpose of having the screen
4. The curser SHOULD technically "jump" to wherever my finger touches on the screen. It works that way with my iPad which I had been using as an extension of my main apple monitor. It doesn't. See "3".
5. I've tried rotating the keytec screen and calibrating with it at 90° etc. same results.
6. Tried plugging it into my MacBook, same result.
7. Tried moving the menu bar to the touch screen this making that the main monitor. Same results.
8. Uninstalled. Reinstalled. Restarted computer. Tried this process several times to make sure it wasn't the driver not installing properly.
9. I had tried other drivers listed on the keytec site as well, nope. Uninstalled completely before reinstalling the newest one that had, using their uninstaller.

Anything else I should try short of sending this to keytec and having it replaced for >$193 plus shipping and handling?

We are Keytec resellers and may be able to help you decide what to do.

Which Model did you purchase and is the controller white or black? And is the LED red or green?

What is your OSX version per your computer? Maybe you are not running the version you think you are. That would make the driver act weird.

Did Robbie offer to send you a new USB-XD dongle or is he convinced that the Touch Screen component is bad? The $193 sounds like the cost for replacing the Touchscreen in the Monitor.

Is there a PC accessible to try it on? That would confirm a hardware problem rather than a driver.
There are less expensive solutions, from Keytec, that work rather well too.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Angelina_angie_oh

PostThu Feb 18, 2016 11:46 am

Which Model did you purchase and is the controller white or black? And is the LED red or green?

What is your OSX version per your computer? Maybe you are not running the version you think you are. That would make the driver act weird.

Did Robbie offer to send you a new USB-XD dongle or is he convinced that the Touch Screen component is bad? The $193 sounds like the cost for replacing the Touchscreen in the Monitor.

Is there a PC accessible to try it on? That would confirm a hardware problem rather than a driver.
There are less expensive solutions, from Keytec, that work rather well too.

17" LCD, Model No. 7005L; Controller=USB-XD, black with red LED

MacOS: OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.3; the latest update available.

No Robbie did not offer to send me a new USB-XD

-------
Update: 2-18-16
At the recommendation of a colleague, I tried restarting the Mac with JUST the keytec plugged in. (Unplugged the apple monitor DVI and USB), and also switched the USB of the USB-XD dongle to another port that have a higher chance of being the "first one" read by the computer when it starts.
Also was sent a new driver from December 2015, uninstalled old driver using uninstaller, installed this new one and restarted.

After all that, restarted and recalibrated, this seems to have fixed the issue of calibration!

----
Since you say you're a keytec reseller, any ideas about the issue of the cursor having to be ON the keytec touch screen for it to work?
Last edited by Angelina_angie_oh on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

organtechnology

PostThu Feb 18, 2016 12:22 pm

Angelina_angie_oh wrote:
----
Since you say you're a keytec reseller, any ideas about the issue of the curser having to be ON the keytec touch screen for it to work?

I have experienced this before also but it was not on an Apple. My problem was running two monitors on a single monitor driver on a PC. The fact that you disconnected the Apple monitor to get the calibration to work might indicate that the Keytec OSX driver software is still the problem. You should be able tap the screen and the cursor will appear at the point you tapped. If the driver can not figure out where the cursor is, then it would exhibit this behavior. It's enough to make anyone become a curser :)
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

Angelina_angie_oh

PostThu Feb 18, 2016 12:35 pm

HAHA curser.

So.... any way I can get that correct driver from someone/somewhere?

The ones listed on
http://www.magictouch.com/support_usb_xd.html
The latest one there seems to have been uploaded Feb of 2013.

The driver I was sent by colleague previously mentioned was from December 2015.

Please advise.
Last edited by Angelina_angie_oh on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostThu Feb 18, 2016 12:38 pm

organtechnology wrote:If the driver can not figure out where the cursor is, then it would exhibit this behavior. It's enough to make anyone become a curser :)

Like your analogy. :roll: :o

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostThu Feb 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Angelina_angie_oh wrote:HAHA curser.

So.... any way I can get that correct driver from someone/somewhere?

The ones listed on
http://www.magictouch.com/support_usb_xd.html
The latest one there seems to have been uploaded Feb of 2013.

The driver I was sent by colleague previously mentioned was from December 2015.

Please advise.

I would call Robbie at Keytec. 972-272-7555 and give him your information and ask him to send you the correct (maybe not the latest) driver for your version of OSX. Be sure and tell him you have two monitors connected but only one is a touchscreen or if your Apple monitor is a touchscreen he needs to know that also.

terryfarrow

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Has anyone experienced the issue of the cursor on the Keytech (now tycotouch) jumping erratically and randomly and rapidly clicking objects on the screen? My keytech does that with my Mac running OS 10.11.6. I have tried several drivers from keytech which hasn't fixed the problem. The screen was also sent back to keytech and they couldn't reproduce the problem. They found no issues with the screen. Notably this only seems to occur with HW. If I used another Mac app (e.g. the calculator or a drawing program) the touch screen works normally. Any suggestions? Currently if have to keep the USB that transmits the touch from the keytech screen UNPLUGGED due to this issue. thanks

terryfarrow

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 6:31 pm

Here is the solution to the problem I described below.

When I bought HW I paid someone to set it up for me. For day 1 and for 3 years it has never worked right despite sending it back for testing at the manufacturer and Robby at Tycotouch sending me new drivers. It seems that the people who set up the organ tried several drivers and either didn’t delete the old ones or left part of a driver file on the computer which caused the screen to not work due to a conflict (ARGH). My local Mac person told me to set up a new administrator account and try installing the driver under the new account to trouble shoot the problem. It turned out the screen worked under the new account. This meant there was something corrupt on my real account and there was nothing wrong with the screen or the computer. I removed the touch screen drivers and any related software and started over on my real account that runs HW. That solved the problem.

Return to Computer hardware / specs