It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:22 pm

computer

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

atugores

computer

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 5:50 am

I have the opportunity to buy this computer, iMac (Mid 2010) powered by a Quad core 2.8 GHz Intel core i5 (i5 760 Lynnfield) processor with a dedicated 256k level 2 cache for each core and a 8 MB shared level 3 cache. In lieu of a system bus, it has a "Direct Media Interface (DMI) that connects between the processor an chipset" at 2.5 GT/s.
Is configured with 32 GB of ram, a 1 TB (7200 rpm) hard drive an Radeon HD 5750 graphics with 1 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory, four USB 2.0 and a firewire 800 port.
My question is, do you think this a good computer to run Hauptwerk 4.1 I recently bought with enough speed and space to breath with tranquility, thank you.

dhm

Re: computer

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 6:15 am

To address your last question first: HW v4.1 is no longer current.
You need to update to v4.2.1.003 (the update is free).
See here: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/osx. (Use the Update installer, not the Full installer.)
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

IainStinson

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 6:24 am

You need some advice about the supported versions of the operating system this hardware can run and check that the supported OS works with Hauptwerk. The Apple web page https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204319 may help. You perhaps need to consider what future OS releases will run on this machine to retain compatibility with the current versions of HW.

I think this machine can't run OS 10.7 which I think is needed by the current version of Hauprwerk.

Iain

atugores

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 8:12 am

Thank you both of you, this iMac actually have OX 10 Yosemite, and I made a mistake I have HW version 4.2.1, what really I would like to know is if the hardware is powerful enough and adequate to run HW. thanks again

mumblecake

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 10:40 am

Hi,

I think the main question is: what organ do you want play on it? This is a very potent mid-range system but due to it's age obviously has it's limits.

The CPU is quite old (2010) so the polyphony that you will be able to achieve per core will be limited:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads ... rdware.pdf

As a very, very rough rule-of-thumb guide to the approximate static polyphony in simultaneous pipes that can normally be expected with recent multi-core Intel processors with a good-quality audio interface and a 64-bit operating system, subtract one from the number of CPU cores then multiply the result by 1200-2500.

As the processor isn't quite what you would call recent I think it's reasonable to look at the lower end of this guesstimate (this way you can only be positively surprised :)). This would mean that the polyphony limit would be somewhere below 4000 which would make the full organ of the big guns (Rotterdam, Salisbury, Sonnenorgel, etc) a big stretch.

Then again, a computer which does these big organs with ease will set you back a lot more money than what this computer is likely to be on offer for.

Best Regards

Mathis

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 11:14 am

[Topic moved]
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

engrssc

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 am

Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, but reality is what it is.

Check out this document:esp the section on Computer hardware lifespan, evolution and maintenance

Technical Datasheet: background technical information on computer hardware for Hauptwerk

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf

(As a post note, I'm glad everything we buy, esp big ticket items, doesn't have to be replaced every three to five years.) :o :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

mumblecake

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 12:05 pm

engrssc wrote:Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, but reality is what it is.

Check out this document:esp the section on Computer hardware lifespan, evolution and maintenance

Technical Datasheet: background technical information on computer hardware for Hauptwerk

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf

(As a post note, I'm glad everything we buy, esp big ticket items, doesn't have to be replaced every three to five years.) :o :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Absolutely right! While it might be a viable solution on a budget and will be able to play most mid-sized instruments of today, it certainly isn't "future-proof", considering that it is a relic of the past ... hence me going on about the polyphony limitations :)

Best Regards

Mathis

atugores

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 3:46 am

Thanks to all of you, as I understand this computer is not the best buy, but the question is acording to all documents I read, to play mid to big organs samples it is a mattter of a big computer that probably is out of my budget, and another problem is Mac or PC, PC usualy aré cheaper than Macs and moré easy to expand, I have to review everything and see wich is the best way, thanks again to all of you.

mumblecake

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 4:45 am

Hi,

you are right that this is not the best computer for the big organs, though it will go a lot further if you make sure that you load surround organs only in stereo. Salisbury might play to fairly large registrations, the Sonnenorgel in six channels will be a hopeless case though.

The fact that you were considering buying this computer made me assume that you were on a budget. I assume the price will be a few hundred pounds/dollars and for that it will be a very potent solution. For the budget that you seem to have for this computer I don't think that you will find a computer which will be able to handle all the current organs not even to talk about being "future proof" for a few years.

It's like with everything in life: a compromise of what we would like to have, what we can afford and what is sensible :)

Best Regards

Mathis

RichardW

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 3:05 pm

I have to say, buying a used computer would never be my first choice. All aspects of the computer change over time: CPUs, Memory, disks, data buses, operating systems, chipsets, etc etc. So you will always be buying a restriction or bottle-neck somewhere.

Also, and this is a personal choice, I always use PCs. This is partly because I always have and used them at work as well, and partly because they can be better "bang per buck". That is due to more competition to make PC parts and that the high-end Macs are arguably over-specced for home use (IMHO!).

If you want a plug-and-play solution a PC may not be for you. The diversity of PC parts lowers costs but can increase compatibility problems. That can lead to returning incompatible parts or taking a few days to get it working properly - horses for courses.
Richard

organtechnology

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 12:09 am

RichardW wrote:
If you want a plug-and-play solution a PC may not be for you. The diversity of PC parts lowers costs but can increase compatibility problems. That can lead to returning incompatible parts or taking a few days to get it working properly - horses for courses.

There are those of us who offer precisely that. PC based Sound engines (computers and ASIO modules) that you simply plug and play.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

RichardW

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 12:06 pm

organtechnology wrote:There are those of us who offer precisely that. PC based Sound engines (computers and ASIO modules) that you simply plug and play.

Understood, but buying a PC and doing everything yourself may not be for everyone. If you don't mind paying someone else to iron out the problems then go for it.
Richard

dhm

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 12:10 pm

There are also people this side of the Pond who build Windows PCs specifically designed and optimized for Hauptwerk. :)
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Return to Computer hardware / specs