It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

2013 MacPro 500GB SSD running Hauptwerk

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

AndyFox

2013 MacPro 500GB SSD running Hauptwerk

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Realized 10 sample sets take about 80% of that 500GB. Has anyone swapped out for 2TB or 4TB SSD? How do you move OS and Hauptwerk plus sample sets over? Or do you go external Thunderbolt II and large SSD?

giwro

Re: 2013 MacPro 500GB SSD running Hauptwerk

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Install OS on the SSD.
Get a 3-4tb drive for data.

Reinstall HW doing a custom install - put everything on the data drive except the sample cache

Voila!
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

mdyde

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 3:16 am

Hello Andy,

[Topic moved here.]

I'd agree with Jonathan -- you'd want to keep the OS and Hauptwerk 'user data' and 'internal working data' (=caches) folder groups on an SSD for performance, so the easiest solution would be to add a large second/external 7200 RPM hard-drive, re-run the Hauptwerk installer and tell it to move just the 'sample sets and components' folder group (which is the very large, but not so speed-critical one) to your new second drive.

For background information, see also the following:

- 'Planning installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 18-19 in the v4.2.1 version).

- 'Changing installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 25).

- 'Storage drives' section in our Hauptwerk computer technical information document (linked to from the prerequisites page on the website): https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

AndyFox

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Thank you. May consider external SSD.

Noticed B&H Photo has "Other World Computing "(OWC") 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB SSD drives to replace the MacPro 2013 500GB SSD internal drive and a case for the old drive to be switched to an external drive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... rbolt.html

Challenge would be transferring original drive content - OS, and all Hauptwerk programs, data files to the new drive.

Worth a look.

Thanks

organassist

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 2:20 am

You could look at something like SuperDuper. I use this for my backups to create an external bootable drive. Although I have not done this - if you installed SuperDuper I believe you could then just swap drives, boot from the existing (now external) drive and run the program to copy the existing disk to the new internal drive. You could then reboot normally and run/re-install Hauptwerk as required.

You may be able to do this in other ways but I find this easy to use.

[Edit] On reflection it might be easier to copy to the new drive first (as an external drive) and then swap them. This would not require booting an external drive.

AndyFox

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 9:38 am

Anyone used the LaCie 2big Thunderbolt with RAID 0 or RAID 1 for external storage with new MacPro?

Home Computers & Solutions Drives & Storage Hard Drive Arrays LaCie 9000437U
LaCie 2big 6TB 2-Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID Array (2 x 3TB, Retail Packaging) LaCie 2big 6TB 2-Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID Array (2 x 3TB, Retail Packaging)

Thanks

Return to Computer hardware / specs