It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

Help - MAC w/ 2 vertical touch screens

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

sweelinck37

Help - MAC w/ 2 vertical touch screens

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 9:20 am

Trying to install 2 vertical touch screens with MAC pro running Yosemite. Monitors are Acer T232HL. One connected via HDMI and one via MiniDisplay. USBs for both monitors run to a USB hub and then to the remaining USB on the MAC. Both monitors are mirroring the MAC screen. No touch response from either screen.

I'm not a heavy MAC user (mainly use Windows) Not sure where to go within the MAC system to check USB ports, etc. Where to go (video board or drivers?) to change screen rotation or how to get touch screens working. Also need to work with split consoles in HW. I'm comfortable using HW software but have never implemented touch screens.

Any help out there? Thanks.

pkuzan

Re: Help - MAC w/ 2 vertical touch screens

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 10:14 am

Hi,

You may find this interesting.
http://www.organworks.co.uk/news/touchscreens-on-a-mac/

Mac does not natively support touchscreens, you'll have to buy a driver from Touch-Base.
http://www.touch-base.com/

You'll also need to un-mirror the monitors so they are independent.

Best of luck!
Paul

mdyde

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 12:03 pm

[Topic moved here, since it isn't a technical support request for the Hauptwerk software itself.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 4:32 pm

This is exactly my configuration. With Touch-Base drivers it works - but far from perfect.

Best,
Christoph

engrssc

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 4:54 am

chr.schmitz wrote:With Touch-Base drivers it works - but far from perfect.

Curious to know what issues you are having?

Rgds,
Ed

pkuzan

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 5:50 am

There can be issues when using more than one monitor of the same type.
Sometimes on startup, one or neither monitor will be touch-sensitive, this is because OS X has taken control of a USB HID device before the Touch-Base driver. This is non-deterministic - sometimes it will work perfectly.

If this happens, unplugging the replugging the USB cables usually fixes it.

The HID devices are always present in the USB tree (About This Mac, System Report) but one of the devices will be red in UPDD Console, the Touch-Base configuration utility. It will go blue (normal) once the USB cables have been replugged and the monitors will then become touch-sensitive.

Touch-Base are aware of this and are about to release version 6 of their driver which has a completely new USB implementation.

There can also be issues if monitor configuration is changed. Once it's working, leave it alone (don't swap USB / monitor cables) and always make sure that both monitors are on before switching on the Mac.

One last thing, I've had issues connecting USB 2 monitors directly to Mac USB 3 ports. This is rectified by using a powered hub that supports both USB 3 and 2. I believe your monitors are USB 3, make sure you use USB 3 cables.

All the best,

sweelinck37

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks, Paul, for your valuable information. I'll be looking into these issues this week. Your tutorial on touch screens with the MAC was very helpful. I'm starting there and will look at USB info before ordering driver from Touch Base. Glad to know that they're working on a new driver release. I'll post on progress after I've done that.

chr.schmitz

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 11:44 am

The most annoying bug / problem is a known issue: on my system data is only sent when the touch leaves the screen. Therefore, I have not yet been able to simulate a right click. I am now using the double click as a right click. But this is suboptimal, as sometimes I do not want to have a right click, but two fast left clicks.

The known issues are described here: http://touch-base.com/documentation/Kno ... Issues.htm

Furthermore, from time to time, touch functionality does not work at all. Rebooting usually solves this issue. However, annoying.

Best,
Christoph

sweelinck37

PostThu Jul 14, 2016 7:20 am

Checked the Mac USB tree per Romsey Organ Works 5/2/14 "Touchscreens on a Mac" article and did not find any USB HID for monitors. Saw both USB 3.0 ports on Mac but no monitors under either one. I have a Sabrent USB Hub designed for the Mac connected to the left USB port on the Mac. It provides four expansion USB ports. I tested those ports with a flash drive and the drive was recognized and worked with the Mac in each of the 4 expansion ports. I unplugged each of the monitor USB cables and replugged them in but still no identification of the monitors. Any ideas?

I also went to the Mac display settings which recognized two T232HL monitors in addition to the Retina monitor but it was strange that both T232HLs showed the same serial number (that from the monitor on the right). I don't know why two monitors were shown but both had same serial numbers. Any ideas why?

Is there a specific TouchBase driver that should be used with these displays?

Thanks to all for your help.
Bill

chr.schmitz

PostThu Jul 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Yes, they provide many different drivers. You have to go to the Touch-Base homepage. There you can choose the appropriate version and download a demo (if I remember correctly, the demo version is limited to 100 clicks).

http://touch-base.com/download.asp

sweelinck37

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Still no joy. Monitor does have USB 3.0 ports. I've installed correct version of Touchbase as provided by them. All USB cables are 3.0. I have tested all functions with wireless mouse through USB 3.0 hub. The mouse works correctly between all screens (mouse not going through UPDD). Both vertical screens work correctly within HW using mouse. Here's the problem:

UPDD console doesn't detect monitors and when I click "Add devices" nothing happens. I've unplugged & replugged USB cables, restarted MAC, plugged one monitor USB cable directly to MAC USB port. I do not see monitor USB devices listed within the Hardware USB tree in MAC no matter where I connect the cable. The mouse USB device doesn't show up in the list either but works correctly.

Beginning to think we should throw out the MAC and get a Windows PC but am very worried about using Windows 10 with all of it's potential problems with HW and other existing interfaces.

Any advice or recommendations on what to do now? Thanks.

telemanr

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 2:27 pm

I'm really puzzled about Apple's apparent disinterest in supporting touch screens.
Rob Enns

GrahamH

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 4:59 am

Go for it "Sweelinck37"!

I've had none of the problems with my home-built Windows PCs that people on this forum routinely raise in connection with their ridiculously expensive Macs.

Graham

pkuzan

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi,

If you can't see the USB HID devices in the USB device tree, UPPD Console won't be able to see them either.

If you have downloaded the correct Touch-Base driver for the Acer T232HL, UPDD needs to see Elan MicroElecrtonics USB devices with a vendor id of 4F3 and a product id of 23 in order to work - they will automatically appear in UPDD Console.

Try plugging a single monitor directly into the Mac with a new USB cable, your monitors will work with either USB 2 or 3 cables. Does the device appear in the USB tree now? There is no point launching UPDD Console until OSX has detected the devices.

I have used these monitors with a Macs before and have never had an issue with them being detected by OSX.

Best of luck!

sweelinck37

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks for suggestion. I did try one monitor directly to the MAC USB port and still didn't see it in the USB tree. I have the cable plugged into the middle of the 3 monitor USB ports (the first one is powered and I didn't want to use that one).

I agree that it should show on the USB tree but wonder why the wireless Logitech mouse doesn't show on the tree either. It bothers me that I can't see this USB device either. Just wondering.

I guess I could try another cable but can't believe that both monitor USB cables are bad. They're both new USB 3 cables. Is there some refresh that's needed with the MAC to see the new device on the tree?
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs