It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:50 pm

Win 10 - Some things to consider - soon

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Re: Win 10 - Some things to consider - soon

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 1:54 pm

I finally got both my computers upgraded to Windows 10, but it required three intense sessions and a lot of help from my knowledgeable friend. I won't list the problems here because I doubt that anyone else will encounter them. Except perhaps to say - make sure you have every possible Windows update installed before trying to upgrade; it turned out that my computer had not been notifying me when new updates arrived, so I had SEVENTY FIVE to install – that involved leaving the machine on overnight.

It isn't only Hauptwerk that requires a computer's undivided attention – when recording and editing music it is similarly recommended to disable any routines that could interrupt the sound. I agree that “most tech companies never heard of Hauptwerk”, but I'm sure they've heard of Pro Tools and other high-end recording/editing software, which probably dislikes interruptions as much as Hauptwerk does.

So Microsoft says this is “the last version of Windows” . . . well we shall continue to need operating systems for as long as computers are around, so I fear this means we shall one day have to deal with something more advanced, speedy, capable . . and more complicated and expensive! If “the price of peace is eternal vigilance”, then it seems the price of progress is endless expense :cry:

Or, just possibly, Microsoft has realised that Windows in general is ridiculously complicated, and they are even now working on something simpler, which will not need a small army of experts to keep it running properly – oh excuse me, I must grab my camera to photograph the pig that's just flown past outside :roll:

Dependence of even very young children on electronic gadgets does worry me. When I see people at an “event” busy recording on their phones or whatever, I wonder if they're enjoying what's in front of them NOW. I'm glad I also play the piano, which doesn't need a power supply, or touchscreen, has no need for gain optimisation, generates no intermodulation distortion, never goes seriously wrong – and sounds gorgeous! (It's a Feurich grand – 5ft 8 – perfect size for a home).
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs