It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

CPU overload

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

HughG

CPU overload

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 12:53 pm

I’ve been happily playing Lemmens’ Fanfare on the 67 stop Hereford for a couple years now. My registration by no means uses full organ. A couple of weeks ago, on starting to play, the sound in the headphones sounded very distorted and I noticed that the CPU monitor in the lower right hand corner of the screen was going into the red. I’ve just gone back to it after some time away, and the problem is still there. None of the other monitors are moving It also happens with other robust registrations. It doesn’t happen with pieces using fewer stops.

I have 16GB of installed RAM and an Intel i7 CPU. Operating system Windows 7.

I’m not aware that of any change to my computer or peripherals, but something obviously has changed.

Any suggestions as to where I could start looking?

Hugh

profeluisegarcia

Re: CPU overload

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Hello Hugh:
I had a similar problem with my Mac. Martin dedicated a lot of time helping me. Let me share with you some suggestions he sent to me:
-"So I'd just suggest setting the polyphony limit a bit lower on the Mac with the lower performance. If you haven't already done so, disabling all OS X power-saving settings might also help you to get better performance (from any Mac).
-Try putting you old hard-drive back in, just to test whether that exhibits the same issues. If it doesn't then swap your new drive back in, wipe (format) it completely, and and install OS X El Capitan and Hauptwerk v4.2.1 from clean (without importing any OS X settings/data from any other OS X installation).
-Create and send a diagnostic file".

Anyway, my problem was not HW related, but Mac´s .

Luis

HughG

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 am

Hi, Luis,
Thanks for your comments. Like you, I think my problem is related to my computer and not to Hauptwerk itself. However, I haven't knowingly changed any hardware or software, so I'm at a bit of a loss to know where to start investigating.
Hugh

mdyde

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 4:43 am

Hello Hugh,

Is your PC connected to the Internet? (If so, perhaps some automatic Windows update, or an automatic update for some other driver or software, affected performance.)

Do you have anti-virus software installed/enabled? (Sometimes background tasks, such as a virus scanner deciding to do a scheduled system scan, can have significant impacts upon performance.)

Please also double-check that you have your audio interface's manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver (not DirectSound) selected as the audio device on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen.

If you'd like to send us a diagnostic file ('File | Create a diagnostic file ...' to: http://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ ) we could have a quick look at your logs to see whether we can spot anything relevant that appears to have changed.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

HughG

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 8:38 am

Hi, Martin,

Thanks for coming in on this.

I've just tried the Fanfare again on the Hereford, and everything seems ok!

Before I started, I checked the audio driver and that is correct.

Yes, my PC is connected to the Internet and yes, I have an antivirus program installed (Norton). Perhaps, as you said, it was running in the background and using up resources.

I guess it's not worth sending a diagnostic file unless the problem comes back?

Thanks for the suggestions. Let's hope that's the end of it!

Regards, Hugh

sjkartchner

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 am

My experience with Norton (albeit not for several years) is that it is a resource hog.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

mdyde

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 11:36 am

Hello Hugh,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it seems to have resolved itself. No need to send us a diagnostic file.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs