It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 pm

Size of an SSD for HW

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

ludu

Size of an SSD for HW

PostMon Aug 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Hello,

I would like to buy an SSD for my PC dedicated to HW. How can I evaluate the size I need? My folder named "HauptwerkJavaRuntime" (in Program Files x86) contains 123 Go but my folder "Hauptwerk" (in C:) only contains 526 Mo. Which one will be used during the loading of a sample-set?

On the other hand, is there an advisable process for the installation and the migration of the files? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by ludu on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luc

IainStinson

Re: Size of a SSD for HW

PostMon Aug 01, 2016 5:18 pm

The User Manual gives some guidance on pages 18-19 under "Planning installation locations".

The internal working data is the part you need to put on the SSD to improve loading times for virtual organs and the manual recommends this to between 5-200GB. The HW installer will allow this area to be relocated from its default area to another folder - put this folder on the new SSD (See pg. 25). The folder is the one ending with "HautpwerkInternalWorkingFiles" and contains the caches for each of the four configurations.

If you have lots of sample sets or want to be a bit more future proof then you probably want to go for a larger SSD.

(Make sure that you can install the new SSD in your computer alongside the existing hard drives. If you need to put the OS and the HW internal working data on the SSD then you should go for at least 500GB of SSD and more if you can...)

Iain

ludu

Re: Size of an SSD for HW

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 3:09 am

Many thanks Iain, the user's manual is so big! Help to locate information is often useful.
Luc

mdyde

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 3:31 am

Hello Luc,

To add to Iain's reply (thanks Iain), this document (linked to from the prerequisites page on our website) also has guidance on computer hardware, including storage:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf
https://www.hauptwerk.com/learn-more/requirements/

Personally I'd opt for a 500 GB SSD as a minimum, and 1 TB or larger if you use a number of the recent very large sample sets. (The bigger the better, subject to cost.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ludu

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 3:44 am

Many thanks Martin for this additional information. A last question: I just would like to find out where is my "HautpwerkInternalWorkingFiles" folder, because my research tool does not find it. It could help me for a good evaluation of the size of the SSD in relation with my personal collection of sample-sets.
Luc

mdyde

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 4:05 am

Hello Luc,

Its location could optionally have been changed when you installed Hauptwerk, but by default it would be located as follows, depending on whether you're using Windows or OS X:

- C:\Hauptwerk\HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles [if Windows]

- /Hauptwerk/HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles [if OS X].
Best regards, Martin.

ludu

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 7:03 am

Many thanks Martin. My folder contains 303 Go. Indeed, 500 Go should be a minimum for the future.
Luc

ludu

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 11:11 am

Hello,

I have bought a Samsun SSD 1TB and reinstalled HW and the latest update conforming to the manual with the new location for all the choices, except for HW itself (I did not dare to change that). After restoring all my settings, is it normal I have to reinstall all my sample sets? In addition, Reaper tells me: The following effects were in the project file and are not available... Track 1 VSTi Hauptwerk VST Link 64-bit (Milan Digital Audio) (32 out).
I am confused and need help. Thanks in advance.
Luc

mdyde

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 3:41 am

Hello Luc,

If you just added a new hard-drive, and didn't also do any of the following:

- disconnect any existing drives used for Hauptwerk, or:
- change the Windows drive letters of any existing drives used for Hauptwerk, or:
- specifically un-install Hauptwerk,

... and you then ran Hauptwerk's installer to change the installation locations, then Hauptwerk's installer would attempt to move any files from the old locations to the new ones as necessary. If all of the files move successfully then you won't need to re-install any sample sets (although their caches will need to regenerate when you next load them). However, it's quite common for the process of moving large amounts of sample set files, e.g. due to a file permissions issue on some sample set file, so it's quite common that you might then need to re-install the sample sets.

It's probably quickest just to send us a diagnostic file, then we can check the installer logs and old/new installation locations, and let you know whether there's actually any problem ('Help | Create a diagnostic file to: https://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ ).

ludu wrote:and reinstalled HW and the latest update

Do you mean that you ran the installer for a version of Hauptwerk older than the current version (v4.2.1) at any point in the process? (You definitely shouldn't install an older version of Hauptwerk over a newer version, since that could possibly cause problems, depending on the versions, but hopefully we'll be able to work out what happened from your diagnostic file.)
Best regards, Martin.

ludu

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 4:06 am

Hello Martin,
I just sent you my diagnostic file.
I am afraid I misunderstood the manual because I have used my original DVD (version 4) instead of only the latest update... I believed an update was someyhing to add to a complete version and not autonomous. I hope I can turn back the clock!
Luc

mdyde

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 5:34 am

Hello Luc,

Thanks for the diagnostic file.

Installers for more-recent versions of Hauptwerk have a specific mechanism to prevent installation if a newer version is already installed, but v4.0.0 didn't have that mechanism, and v4.0.0's installer also worked differently and didn't have the mechanisms to keep and archive installer logs, so unfortunately I can't see details of your installation (locations, etc.) from prior to when you ran the v4.0.0 installer.

However, from your logs it appears that you've ended up with a clean installation, rather than moving your old installation.

I see that you restored a backup yesterday (after running the v4.0.0 installer then the v4.2.1 installer), so (and assuming that it was a sufficiently recent backup that your restored) that would have got all of your settings, combinations and voicing back. Hence you should just need to complete the task of re-installing the remaining sample sets.

(For future reference, if you ever need to run Hauptwerk's installer for any reason, then please just make sure that it's the current version, which is always available on our main downloads page: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ .)
Best regards, Martin.

ludu

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:40 am

Many thanks, Martin. My error was to believe that an update is not autonomous and needs to be executed after the main basic version.

Do you have an idea of what I can do to recover the use of Reaper? The message was:
The following effects were in the project file and are not available... Track 1 VSTi Hauptwerk VST Link 64-bit (Milan Digital Audio) (32 out). But my folder 'Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In' has vanished and therefore I cannot point it into Reaper.

A last question: was it a good idea to keep HW on C: or is it better to transfer in on my SSD too?
Luc

mdyde

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 7:55 am

Hello Luc,

ludu wrote:Do you have an idea of what I can do to recover the use of Reaper? The message was:
The following effects were in the project file and are not available... Track 1 VSTi Hauptwerk VST Link 64-bit (Milan Digital Audio) (32 out). But my folder 'Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In' has vanished and therefore I cannot point it into Reaper.

There's an option in Hauptwerk's installer for the VST plug-in location. There's also an option in Reaper for its plug-ins search path. You just need to make sure that the latter includes the former, i.e. that Reaper's plug-ins search path includes whatever folder you selected as the location for the Hauptwerk VST plug-in when you (last) ran Hauptwerk's installer.

From your last diagnostic file, I see that you chose 'F:\' as the location for the VST-plug-in. That probably isn't a great place to put a VST plug-in (i.e. at the root of a drive), so you might want to re-run the Hauptwerk v4.2.1 installer (either the v4.2.1 'update installer' or v4.2.1 'full installer' -- it doesn't matter which) and select somewhere other than the root of a drive. Leave all other installer options at their current values so that nothing else will be moved.

The standard default location for the VST plug-in is:

C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In

Hence you could either use that, or, for example, put it somewhere such as:

F:\Hauptwerk\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In

(Either is fine.)

Then in Reaper's preferences make sure that Reaper's plug-ins search path includes wherever you chose.

ludu wrote:A last question: was it a good idea to keep HW on C: or is it better to transfer in on my SSD too?

You currently have all of the customisable Hauptwerk components on your F: drive (your SSD), which is fine, and will potentially give the fastest loading in all cases. (However, many people choose to put their 'sample sets and components' folder, which is large but not speed-critical, on a large 7200 RPM drive to save SSD space.)
Best regards, Martin.

ludu

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 8:25 am

Hello Martin,

Once again, you have resolved all my problems, with clear explanations and instructions! You have spend a lot of time for me during the last days... Many thanks.
Luc

mdyde

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 3:01 am

Thanks, Luc.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Computer hardware / specs