It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:19 am

Small USB Monitors

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Doug S.

Small USB Monitors

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Has anyone any experience using small usb touchscreen monitors?
I'm working toward completely hiding the HW augmentation in my hybrid home instrument. Aside from coming up with a scheme to add pilot light indicators for the sound gear status, some kind of a pullout monitor mounted on a drawer mechanism for quick access is all that remains.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Small USB Monitors

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 1:46 pm

[Topic moved - not Hauptwerk technical support]
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

csw900

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 1:57 am

Hi Doug

I am using a touch screen monitor at the moment, but it is not "small". I do not understand what
you mean by small, please clarify. Do you mean something the size of a mobile phone?

Also I do not understand what you mean by a usb touch screen monitor as any video monitor
must get its main content from your computer's video output which would not normally be from
usb. Please explain what you mean.

csw900

IainStinson

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 3:11 am

In IT data centers we sometimes used 1U rack mounted drawer which included a keyboard and a "pop up" monitor. See http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/pedge/topics/en/console?c=us&l=en&cs=04 and http://www.rackmountmart.com/rmLCD/lcd1U19-015.htm. Whilst this may not be what you want it perhaps gives some ideas of how to have a screen (and keyboard) which can be hidden from view and conveniently be accessed when required. Warning - they are quite expensive!

Iain

engrssc

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 6:45 am

Those drawer mounted monitors are nice but certainly not cheap. (Meant to say not economical). :o

Esp a sun readable touch screen.

Rgds,
Ed

adrianw

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 3:22 am

Also I do not understand what you mean by a usb touch screen monitor as any video monitor
must get its main content from your computer's video output which would not normally be from
usb. Please explain what you mean.

I imagine he means a small (7 - 10") USB touch screen monitor. They do NOT use the video output - they have an inbuilt video chip which is driven over USB using custom drivers. Too slow for anything requiring heavy graphics but sort-of work although drivers can be fiddly and flakey. They cannot do anything until the drivers are loaded, so you can't boot with them meaning they are strictly a supplementary screen.Touch screen input is often rather imprecise and laggy - they tend to use cheap resistive sensing which works better with a stylus than a finger. Plenty of them about eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lilliput-UM1010T-Monitor-USB-powered-Screen/dp/B003DPOMAS

Haven't used them with Hauptwerk myself but I'm sure they would work with the limitations above - far from ideal but usable. An alternative to a cheap tablet with remote desktop software.

csw900

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 9:54 am

Thanks adrianw.

I have learnt something completely new -- I would never have believed it possible to run
a monitor completely from usb and apparently watch video on it as well.

They are expensive though, I could buy a proper touch screen monitor for similar cash and
from what you say it would work better.

csw900

Doug S.

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 4:21 pm

I'll let you know how my yet to be delivered 10 in usb powered touchscreen works out. I don't need the touch feature, but it was available. My question was if they might bog down the HW related USB connected gear.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

adrianw

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 3:08 am

I'll let you know how my yet to be delivered 10 in usb powered touchscreen works out. I don't need the touch feature, but it was available. My question was if they might bog down the HW related USB connected gear.

Time will tell, but I doubt it. I've had no problem with USB connected peripherals - even mass storage - affecting concurrently connected USB audio or USB midi devices. Most modern motherboards offer several independent USB channels rather than 1 channel and an internal hub.

- Adrian.

Doug S.

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 3:16 pm

My new DoubleSight usb monitor is flying solo. I had to install an inexpensive GEFORCE GT 70 sound card and download the latest drivers before the usb drivers would load. The new monitor is limited to fairly low resolution settings, but otherwise fulfills my expectations. It hides behind my glass music rack nicely. I may not choose to mount it on drawer slides under the keydesk. It comes to life last after boot and autoload of Hauptwerk which takes a few minutes.
Doug
Doug

adrianw

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 9:55 am

Good to hear it is working. Did you experiment with the touch capability?

- Adrian.

Doug S.

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 10:37 am

Not yet.
Doug

Return to Computer hardware / specs