It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

This looks like a good HW candidate

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

This looks like a good HW candidate

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm on the Microcenter email list and got this one today, looks like it would make for a great HW computer.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... C2E6719F30

Marc

magnaton

Re: This looks like a good HW candidate

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Specification wise yes. I have the identical drives (hard drive & SSD) in my computer, MSI gaming MOTB, similar case but with red lighting effect, Win7 OEM but drive out was only $900 which included at $25 rebate on the tower case. This was from Fry's Electronics where you pick all the components, place them in a shopping cart, then go home and assemble it yourself.

The benchmark I used when to compare against my older Dell desktop was from a cold start to St. Anne's ready to play. My new system (Nov 2015) is 41 seconds! I'm convinced that the SSD and OEM Win7 contribute to this. When purchasing a brand name computer, they like to load up the OS with extra software and limited edition versions of stuff you or may not use. All these take up entries in the Windows registry which get loaded on every reboot. Granted Microsoft has cleaned up its act with this design over the years and made the registry leaner and more efficient. Plus now with faster RAM, processors, and SSDs we have faster load times all around.

Danny B.

1961TC4ME

Re: This looks like a good HW candidate

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi Danny,

That's what I like about Microcenter as well, you can do the 'pick your parts' and throw it together at home as well. This one is listed with more of a hot rod video card for gaming which is probably a bit overkill for HW and doing something a bit more reasonable would probably shave a few hundred or so off the price, but none the less looks to be an ideal computer for someone just wanting to plug and play at a pretty reasonable figure as is. I refer to that extra stuff they load the computer up at the big box store as 'bloatware' and will never buy a big box store computer again. Microcenter computers come with only what you want on them as well and nothing more, no annoying 'hey, trial offer for Caribou coffee of the month club' :lol: or other garbage offer popping up.

I purchased one of their house brand computers about 4 years ago now and it's running strong, have only need to upgrade RAM to 32 GB, have not had an issue whatsoever and still has enough of horsepower for the sets I'm using. When I upgrade will probably be another Powerspec.

Marc

Return to Computer hardware / specs