It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 am

My Computer Specs

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

rtucker9

My Computer Specs

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 5:05 am

I am happy to say that after doing a ton of searching, I found a computer that works well for my Hauptwerk needs. Here are the specs, I don't think it can be beat for $700:

Operating System:Windows 7 Professional English 64bit (Includes Windows 10 Pro License)

Processor: 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz)

Memory: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)

Hard Drive: 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD R9 360 2GB GDDR5

Optical Drive: Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

I/O Ports

Front - (2) USB 3.0, 5:1 Multi-Card Reader, (1)Audio Combo Jack

Rear - Line in/out and Microphone Port, (1) VGA, (1) HDMI out, (4) USB 2.0, Network Port, DC power

DIMM Slot: 2 UDIMM Slots

Sound Card: Integrated 5.1 Channel with Wave MaxxAudio Pro (Windows)

Wireless: 802.11bgn + Bluetooth 4.0, 2.4 GHz, 1x1

Keyboard: Dell KB216 Wired Keyboard English Black

Mouse: Dell MS116 Wired Mouse Black

Dimensions: 350mm x 154mm x 282.6mm / 13.78” x 6.06” x 11.13

Starting Weight: 7.4kg / 16.5lbs

Monitor: Not included

Speakers: Not Included

The only thing I don't like about it? I should say *didn't* like about it is that it comes with a bunch of worthless virus scanning software and background programs that suck out processing speed. It was making Hauptwerk do funny things.

Got rid of it and didn't have a problem! If you're in this position I recommend googling "processes I don't need control alt delete" and then go to add remove programs and knock out stuff you don't care for :) Don't need virus stuff because I am not connecting it to the internet, so that's my virus prevention :D Don't need background programs because I didn't buy this computer for anything but Hauptwerk.

tf11972

Re: My Computer Specs

PostFri Sep 30, 2016 1:46 pm

It's always better to wipe the harddisk and install a fresh OS, so you don't have to uninstall software that lowers the resources.
Onboard sound is not the best choice (too much latency) and I wonder when you pimp your RAM. My computer has 32 GB and some of my samplesets completely fill it up. I would not buy a new Hauptwerk PC with less than 64 GB.
Sorry to say that, but saving money often leads to spend much more of it.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

csw900

Re: My Computer Specs

PostSat Oct 01, 2016 8:41 am

I would say stick with what you have purchased, it looks quite a good system to me.

Uninstalling the junk you do not need was the right thing to do. If the operating system
is functioning OK then the last thing I would do is try to reinstall it -- complete waste of time.

It looks as if you can upgrade to Windows 10 and I would recommend this.

Regarding latency on the audio -- I do not think you will find anything significant. However
if the sound card does have problems, and some older ones did, then you could likely
replace it with a better one -- provided there is a free bus socket to plug it into. Use the BIOS
to disable the built in sound.

csw900

Return to Computer hardware / specs