It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

Touch screen light press registers in wrong place

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

mkc1

Touch screen light press registers in wrong place

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 9:47 am

I bought a used KeyTec touch screen and I find that if I don't touch it very firmly, it registers the touch just above an to the left of where I touch it. This is rather annoying since it's inclined to turn on or off the wrong stop unless I'm very careful to give it a firm prod. I've tried recalibrating, re-installing drivers, have tried both the KeyTec and Touch-Base drivers and nothing's helped to far.

The touch panel appears to use resistive technology. I found some videos online about the adhesive at the edges that holds the glass and plastic layers together letting go with time and suggesting applying heat and attempting to stick them back together firmly. I've also tried that with no results.

Any ideas? Is the hardware just past it?

Thanks!
Michael

Grant_Youngman

Re: Touch screen light press registers in wrong place

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 11:26 am

I use KeyTec overlays, which I've had since the dawn of time. They behave much the same way. It may just be the nature of the beast. I tend to poke at the screens, and hadn't noticed the behavior before.

Did you try doing screen calibration with the very "light touch", and then see what happens when you poke the screen firmly?
Grant

mkc1

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks, Grant. I'm using the touch-base driver at the moment. It requires a touch of several seconds on each calibration point before it registers, so it's a bit difficult to maintain a consistently light touch for very long. I did try it though and it seemed to make things worse. I get clicks to the left and above where I'm pressing first, then as the pressure gets more firm, clicks where I'm pressing and then clicks to the right and below. Interesting thing to try though, and it might work better with the KeyTec driver...maybe I'll try re-installing that and trying it.

Good to know that the issue exists for other people as well. If I look along the edge of the screen, I can see a slight ripple in the plastic top layer, so that might have something to do with it. Perhaps a new capacitive screen is in order when the funds are available.

Thanks again!
Michael

organtechnology

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi,

I believe that the new version of Keytec's overlay product is IR and not touch. At least the 19" is. I also do not believe it requires any special drivers other than the built in Windows drivers. It does act differently than the resistive screens in the 17" integrated monitors we also use.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

csw900

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 9:38 am

Michael

I think the last sentence of your original post above has hit the nail on the head -- resistive
technology is not the best and your monitor is probably "past it".

In my experience a capacitive touch screen (used on nearly all tablets and phones) is much
more sensitive than resistive screens which require a definite pressure to work properly.

The main disadvantage of capacitive screens is that they do not work if you wear gloves
but if you are playing an organ this should not be a problem.

csw900

mkc1

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks for the input, Thomas and csw. I don't mind having to use a bit of pressure and most of the screen works pretty well when I do that. It's mainly at the lower right corner where, unless I press very firmly and quickly, a stop next to the one I press gets changed. It'll do for setting up the stops to capture with the pistons or sequencer though I suppose until I can manage a new one. Thanks again for all your help!

Michael

Return to Computer hardware / specs