It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 am

SSD spec

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

SSD spec

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 11:42 pm

I just ordered a new Sandisk X400 SSD. Looking at the spec - Life Expectancy 1,750,000 Hours mean time to failure If I read that correctly, that's slightly over 200 years, or did I miss something? How does that relate to read/write cycles, esp write cycles?

Performance
540MB/s Sequential Read
520MB/s Sequential Write
Random Read: 93,500 IOPS
Random Write: 60,000 IOPS

Rgds,
Ed

NickNelson

Re: SSD spec

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 1:24 am

The sums are right, but I suspect that this means the life expectancy while powered up and being read, but not being written.

Elsewhere I have seen the 'endurance' quoted in TBW (tera bytes written) with figures that suggest you should be able to rely on writing the whole drive between 300 and 500 times.

Nick

csw900

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 2:26 am

Nick is right -- every time you write to a ssd you wear it out a bit.

I remember when non volatile read write memory first became available. At that time they
reckoned the life was around 10,000 writes. This may have improved a bit since then but
the "wearout" mechanism is still caused by writing. You can read them as many times as you
like without wear.

csw900

engrssc

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 2:58 am

I have only used SSD's to store organ caches which seems appropriate. I just hadn't observed such a high number relating to life expectancy. This X400 model is the improved version of the Sandisk Z400 which has worked well - so far.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 4:22 am

My MacBook Air and my Toshiba Windows machines only have SSD "drives". I expect them to run for at least 7 years and assume that Apple and Toshiba have done sufficient testing at design time so that chance of failure within at least that timescale is minimal.

Iain

csw900

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 9:34 am

A friend of mine installed Windows operating system on to a ssd about two years ago.

The disk recently failed without any warning, everything on the disk was lost, and he had to
start again with a new disk.

csw900

mdyde

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 3:56 am

For what it's worth, I've had no problems with the 512 GB SSDs as the primary/only drives in my two development MacBook Pros (one running Mac OS X and one Windows) so far, fortunately. They're approximately five years old and get intensive side-by-side use (including lots of writes) all day, most days.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 10:30 am

Care to share brand and model, which isn't a guarantee of future longevity. And no doubt each are adequately backed up. :)

I probably should know this, but presently drawing a blank as to where to find size of a given sample set's cache file size. I'm using a 250 GB SSD strictly for saving caches and after loading several sample sets during a rebuild. was slight;y surprised at how relatively small these cache files are.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 4:22 am

Hello Ed,

engrssc wrote:Care to share brand and model, which isn't a guarantee of future longevity.

I don't know without opening disassembling a laptop, I'm afraid. They're whatever 512 GB SSD Apple installed in their MacBook Pros as standard at that time (late 2011). However, they're fairly old now and I doubt the same model would still be manufactured, and more recent SSDs are likely to give much higher performance anyway.

engrssc wrote:And no doubt each are adequately backed up.

Of course!

engrssc wrote:I probably should know this, but presently drawing a blank as to where to find size of a given sample set's cache file size. I'm using a 250 GB SSD strictly for saving caches and after loading several sample sets during a rebuild. was slight;y surprised at how relatively small these cache files are.

The size of an organ's cache is likely to be similar to the amount of memory that the organ occupies once loaded (which depends upon your rank options of course).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs