It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

New PC for Hauptwerk

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

RichardW

Re: New PC for Hauptwerk

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 11:13 am

Iain,

Thanks for the links. What I was trying to get to was how would I determine if I was buying an SSD that was too fast for my processor. I have this aversion to spending money on things unnecessarily so just wondered if the numbers were easy to compute.

In days gone by, one could safely assume that the disk would be the limiting factor. I am not so sure that is true with respect to HW loading times any more.

Regards,
Richard

IainStinson

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 12:06 pm

Richard,
My comments were only about the number of cores HW can use (re the comment directly before mine).

Sorry if this was of the main topic of the thread.

Iain

AlexanderSaychek

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 7:34 pm

OrganoPleno,
Thanks for posting your very helpful component list and for the point that utilizing a local integrator might not add all that much to the total cost.
What box did you use ? The cooler fan can sometimes cause challenges.
Monty

OrganoPleno

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 1:20 pm

AlexanderSaychek wrote: What box did you use ? The cooler fan can sometimes cause challenges.

My Case is the Define R5 in "Titanium Grey" by Fractal Design. Here's what they say about it:
-- Optimally designed for silent computing with high density noise-reducing material throughout the case for maximum sound absorption, while not compromising on airflow and cooling capabilities.
-- Extensive water cooling support for a case of this size; housing radiators up to 420mm in the top and 360mm in the front.
-- Including two Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 140mm fans developed for superlative airflow while still maintaining low noise levels.
-- Maintaining a dust-free interior with the help of dust filters that cover front and bottom air intakes that are easy to access from the front on the case.

I also had a couple of special modifications done. First, the "Case Fans Upgrade Kit" for Quiet PWM Ramping:

"The primary goal of this kit is to allow the quietest possible operation without compromising on cooling ability. It includes the replacement of all 120mm and 140mm stock fans with quieter models, along with adding any additional fans that might be worthwhile to ensure a well-ventilated system. Each fan has a 4-pin PWM header, allowing it to be controlled by pulse-width modulation from the motherboard which can dynamically control the fan speeds based on temperature. By allowing ramping of case fan speed, a system can be extremely quiet at low load levels - but capable of handling additional heat under heavier usage."

Also, the "General Quiet Modification Package":

"This package contains a few modifications to the Fractal Design Define R5 case:
- Adding, removing or re-orienting case fans
- Cherry-picking components for quiet operation
- Adjusting BIOS settings (like CPU fan parameters) for quiet operation
- Selectively opening or closing vents for the best air circulation with minimal noise"

These custom features certainly beat what I could have done on my own. In particular, to cherry-pick for quiet components from available stock.

Instead of a bulky fan mounted over the CPU, I opted for the Corsair Liquid Cooling. With a water-block over the CPU, a couple of tubes pass the coolant to a radiator over the back vent of the Case, where a large quiet fan blows air through for heat-exchange.

The company, PugetSystems.com, specializes in Computers that run very quiet. In this case, they really did deliver. Much quieter than my other PC's, and much quieter than the Refrigerator in the other room. And in fact even quieter than a particular incandescent light bulb across the room (which somehow tends to "sing" like the whine of a PC's hard drive.

I can highly recommend their services. If anybody wants to buy a PC from them, tell them "OrganoPleno" sent you and they're supposed to give you free shipping inside the USA.

OrganoPleno

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 1:30 pm

AlexanderSaychek wrote:Thanks for posting your very helpful component list...

I should add that with my new PCIe Sound Card (by RME... the "HDSPe AIO") in this Computer, the audio quality is FAR SUPERIOR to what I had on the old PC (using the HDSP 9632 sound card, also by RME)... which I always thought sounded wonderful until it just got surpassed.

We listen through headphones, the AKG K701, and use an amplifier, the HP-4 by PreSonus.

AlexanderSaychek

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a large amount of helpful material. I'm checking with Puget.
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs