It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

Best Computer for Hauptwerk

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

telemanr

Re: Best Computer for Hauptwerk

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 11:12 am

I also use Sibelius on a Windows 10 PC to play scores with, for instance, choir, flute, and a connected Yamaha keyboard for the piano accompaniment.
If I use Realtek High Def there is a noticeable delay so that the internal sounds (choir and flute) are not entirely in sync with the external Keyboard sound? Very noticeable delay.
If I use ASIO there is no problem.
Also the new Dorico engraving program comes with its own ASIO software version which it insists on using and loads automatically because it works properly. I.e. No delays.

This is not my HW computer and I have a MOTU sound unit which of course has its own ASIO driver. But certainly my experience with my other computer using ASIO is that it has had absolutely no unusual or adverse effect on the actual sound I get.
Rob Enns

jkinkennon

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 11:44 am

Avoiding audio stuttering with Windows 10 using HDMI is still a huge problem. It's the usual issues of optimizing the PC and turning on/off various services that most of us are familiar with. Core Audio on the Mac just doesn't present these issues.

ASIO drivers for Windows PCs should not be confused with the ASIO4ALL wrapper which is a work around. Professionals still choose ASIO. It's not that Win 10 cannot provide the same quality and low latency, it's just that if you achieve good audio "out of the box" you are fortunate. Don't expect to be able to make changes to a PC without the possibility of reintroducing HDMI lip-sync delays and audio interruptions. This is partly due to the open hardware nature of the PC vs Mac, so it's not a case of one is better but a case of one working without testing and fiddling.

csw900

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 3:39 am

It is interesting and enlightening to get a few other opinions.

What I said about ASIO was probably an overstatement. What I perhaps should have
said is that I have never found any need to use it and thus do not really know much
about it. I associate it more with Linux than Windows.

The use of ASIO is most definitely an accessory which is not a prerequisite for making
an organ play satisfactorily on a Windows computer.

How HDMI enters in to this is beyond me -- sound stuttering simply does not happen
on any of my PC's.

csw900

4AmericanClassics

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks everyone! I have decided to get an Apple Mac Book to get started. I'll use it exclusively for Hauptwerk. I plan to get a couple of sixty-one note portable MIDI keyboards and headphones to get started. This way I can play when I'm on vacay. Touring organ Jr.
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs