It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:54 am

Windows 10 Creator Update

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

IainStinson

Windows 10 Creator Update

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am

Windows 10 Creator Update is likely to start to ship soon. Has anyone looked into the running HW after this update arrives? Most of the enhancements seem not directly relevant to HW but some of the graphics changes could possibly have an effect on QT which HW uses for its platform independent graphical interface. There may be driver and support issues. I think there are some improvements to the software update process for all editions except the Home edition of Windows.

Iain

mdyde

Re: Windows 10 Creator Update

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Hello Iain,

We haven't yet had a chance to undertake testing here for it. We'll be aiming to make some kind of compatibility testing status statement soon after it's been released, but any feedback from other people who might already have had a chance to try it with Hauptwerk would certainly be welcome. From the list of its new features, a few things I noted that might need particular testing are: 'App throttling' (especially with regard to its performance impacts, and whether it can be disabled for Hauptwerk and other critical audio and MIDI components), the new setting that prevents applications from being installed unless they've been purchased through the Windows Store, and whether there are any other performance (RAM, CPU, audio, etc.) impacts in general (e.g. as an indirect result of all of the new graphical and notification changes).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organsRgreat

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:56 am

Windows 10 has an infuriating habit of updating things whether I want it to or not. I spent a bit of time looking around the internet to see whether this can be prevented, but all I can find is a registry hack – and I'm scared to go anywhere near the registry. I also looked through the “Settings” menus, but it seems not to have occurred to anyone at Microsoft that a user might wish NOT to have his computer updated – at least until his software had been proved to work with any major alterations to Windows.

Just in case I missed something – is there a setting which will prevent Windows 10 Professional updating unless or until I give permission? Thanks!

dhm

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 7:54 am

Control Panel > Administrative tools > Services > Windows update > Disable or set to Manual.
(This is Win 10 Home. I would expect the Pro edition to have the same.)
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

organsRgreat

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks for a quick reply – I found I had set Windows Update to Manual, so I've set it to Disabled.

I found one morning recently that the computer had been restarted overnight (it's never switched off) and “Updates have been installed”. Perhaps there was a momentary interruption to the mains power supply, and Windows took advantage of the restart to do an update. In any case this information is far more useful than I was able to find in an internet search, thus proving once again what helpful and knowledgeable people there are on this forum :-)

dhm

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 am

organsRgreat wrote:I found I had set Windows Update to Manual, so I've set it to Disabled.

If you set it to Manual, it should only download and install updates if and when you tell it to.
It should only do it automatically if you set that option to "Automatic".
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Mixtuur4st

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:03 am

If you set it to Manual, it should only download and install updates if and when you tell it to.
It should only do it automatically if you set that option to "Automatic".

Not true. Already for Win7 Microsoft stated that some updates might be applied automatically, even if your settings were Manual.

There is really only one way to prevent that company from updating your OS: disconnect from the internet.

More interesting (and terrifying ?) information you can find here:
https://www.bestvpn.com/the-ultimate-privacy-guide/

Jack
Last edited by Mixtuur4st on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:58 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organsRgreat

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 4:04 pm

I've come to the conclusion that the simplest option is indeed to turn off my modem, which means there's no way the internet can access either of my computers. Since I've discovered that anti-virus software is the biggest cause of unwanted “noises”, I'm doing this quite regularly nowadays. My next step will be to plug the modem into an outlet which has its own on/off switch, as the one built in to the modem doesn't seem substantial enough to stand frequent use, whereas a separate one can be replaced easily if it fails. It takes a few minutes for the modem to lock on to the signal when it's first switched on, but modern units seem to do this quite quickly.

rayjcar

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:09 pm

I had several annoying (and dangerous) automatic update attempts on my office machine because it failed to install the anniversary update successfully, and it would take four or five nail-biting attempts to restore it finally.

The solution I used is to go to Control Panel - Component Services - Services (Local) - Windows Update - Disabled

I have been successful in avoiding any more update attempts whatsoever, and am still connected to the internet full time.

Ray

abaymajr

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 12:30 pm

People, be careful with the Windows 10 Creators Update. Microsoft released its final ISO three days ago and since my PC is not exclusively dedicated for Hauptwerk, I decided update it to the Windows 10 CU. Since then I'm experiencing a lot of problems regarding audio glitches with two different USB interfaces, in random situations, specially when managing with OS menus and interface. Now, I read a topic at Reddit forum about an user reporting the same problem with different interface and DAW, so I do think it has something to do with the Creators Update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... khz_modes/

As I can't live with those problems, I'm going to reinstall Anniversary Update, the best since the Windows 10 original July 2015 release.

For owners of stable and dedicated Hauptwerk machines, the best to do is to avoid any major or minor OS updates.

StephenGlover

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Just had similar problems with a Creative/E-MU 1616M External Sound Card, discovered that that drivers had been installed for the audio devices on the motherboard (even though they were flagged as not to be used).

Removed all the audio drivers, rebooted, re-installed 1616M drivers, rebooted, and all was well.

Now to sort out the 'missing' touch screen drivers........

Regards

Stephen
Stephen Glover

Greggiep52

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 2:23 pm

I installed the Windows 10 Creator Update this morning with no issues at all. My configuration is Firewire/Midi-based rather than USB, although my touch screens rely upon USB 2.0 for service. I have played the full configuration for several hours and noted no problems at all.

I echo the caution stated above, however, simply because each configuration of hardware and software is so different - kind of like our pipe organs. If you do decide to upgrade, be sure to understand how to back out the Creator update to restore the system to the state it was in just before you embarked down this path.

Regards,
Greg

jkinkennon

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 3:53 pm

I've been running the early Win 10 releases and had encountered new problems with glitches a month or so ago. At the time I turned of file indexing, superfetch, and background apps that wanted to phone home. That fixed my issues.

In reading about the new features of "Creator" I saw the new Game Mode which allows declaring apps to be games so that background processes do not hog PC resources and cause audio glitches and video staggering. I'm in the process of reenabling indexing and the rest in an effort to see if the glitches return now that I have Hauptwerk and Reaper running in Gaming Mode.

I'd prefer a better description of this feature as Musical Performance Mode would sound better to my ears. I don't have the final word as to whether this feature is helpful, but so far it doesn't seem to hurt. Might be worth looking into.

abaymajr

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 6:38 am

Just to update the thread. Some days ago I turned transparency effects off and since then no problems regarding to audio glitches, even with the latest Windows 10 Creators Update. There are still some touch gestures that sometimes cause those issues (like swiping from screen edges for application switching) but they are not new, and already occurred before CU. So, until Microsoft releases a fix for this, turning transparency effects off is an effective workaround.
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs