It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

USB Hub didn't reset

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

USB Hub didn't reset

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:48 pm

I happened to be at church during a rehearsal last evening. i wasn't involved.

After approx .5hr , without warning, the organ ciphered - big time. On the closing chord. I was in another room but heard . To make a long (unintended service call), what we finally figured out is that Hauptwerk didn't get a note(s) off. Clearing the cipher wasn't a big deal, but the organ wouldn't play after that. BTW that's the first time for a cipher.

Doing a quick troubleshoot, found in the device manager that the USB Hub didn't reset. Kinda fortunately, I had my laptop (with H/W etc installed on it) and plugged that in place of the organ's "resident" computer so as to permit finishing the rehearsal. Worked fine.

Ended up, I had to download a new driver for the hub. No further issue and the little yellow trianlge with the exclamation mark went away. Prior to downloading (and installing) a new USB hub driver, everything else seemed to work ok.

I should point out, against my advice, the person involved with this organ subbed a Windows 10 machine in place of the Mac Pro we originally installed. I guess he said a while back that he doesn't speak Mac. :shock: and didn't care to learn. Oh, well. Lead a horse to water, but - - - - :(

My question would be, is this a thing with Win 10? It's not the Anniversary Edition as far as I can tell. Or is this a potential problem with the hub? I stayed an extra 2 hrs and tried to make the problem repeat.. Of course it didn't. The hub is powered and connects with USB 3.0. Forgot the brand but it is (at least up until now) a good brand.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

Re: USB Hub didn't reset

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 3:37 am

Hello Ed,

That hasn't happened to either of my USB 2.0 hubs (powered Belkin models) since I've been using Windows 10 (which is when it was first released). I'd suggest contacting the maker of the hub for support if needed.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 7:21 am

It's a new problem for me. The hub and system (except for the change to a PC) has been in place for quite a while. Trying to decide if this is an opportunity to raise the issue of going back to the Mac Pro which is taking up space in a storage area. (Bummer). But if the problem is with the hub, that would weaken my objective. And this is the first problem we've seen.

Thinking further, the real problem was the USB hub's driver. The hub worked fine with my laptop. Questioning whether the hub created the driver issue??

And, yes, I thought about replacing the hub along with reinstalling the Mac. Since this is the very first problem, it's kind of a church political thing (now) as well which sometimes is harder to deal with than computer issues. I work around to avoid these politics.

We have arrived at a "compromise" sort of. That being to install the Mac Pro (with a new hub) while we (or the organ caretaker) check further on the Windows computer and the hub in question..The fact of Easter being so close (and important organ wise) is a factor.

BTW, the organ was only out for 10 minutes. A combination of being in the right place and finding the problem quickly. I nearly broke my arm patting myself on the back for that short down time. :roll: I don't profess to be a Win 10 guy, so maybe I will learn.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 10:36 am

After talking to several (who use Win 10) friends, have found several of them have had USB problems (w/Win 10). Some chatter on a few forums as well.

Some info sites to consider:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-issue-after-upgrade-system-to-windows-10-usb-ports-dont-work/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17614/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-windows-usb-problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nSU3S0atjU

A (slight) remaining issue (which I'm beginning to see) is why the setup worked for several months without an issue. I'm thinking (to myself at this point) that what I'm hearing and reading strengthens my point (notice I said "point" not argument) of going back to the Mac. Now how to do this (as a permanent fix) without stepping on too many toes (or pedals). I built an organ for a relative using Win 7 several years ago. No issues. So Windows isn't (all) bad. Win 10, hmmm.

Found another (minor) problem since the Win 10 computer was "introduced" that a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard not recognized and cannot be paired. That per one of the organists. Not going to get into that right now, but it's interesting. :o

Rgds,
Ed

telemanr

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 1:18 pm

I have Win 10 fully up to date on my normal (non-HW) computer with about 8 USB ports in use connected to a keyboard, graphic tablet, scanner, number of External drives, USB broadcaster running cordless keyboard and mouse, plus a USB broadcaster wireless headphone and have literally never had so much as a hiccup.
Lucky I guess.
Rob Enns

engrssc

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Best and good wishes, too. As I said, this came as a (new) problem to me. Hubs have always been a "thing" which always work. But again, it was the driver, not so much the hub. What, further, I am curious about is that this computer (normally) is not connected to the Internet. Why did it (now) decide it needed an updated USB hub driver?

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs