It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

Page Turner for Ipad Pro

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

montyjnc

Page Turner for Ipad Pro

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Hello, all!

First off, I am unsure of where to post this question... so moderators, feel free to relocate me :)

Currently, I am using the 12.9" iPad Pro to store all of my organ scores for both practice and performance. It is truly beyond useful for both live services and practicing, as combined with the Apple Pencil, I can notate scores, keep music in good condition, and carry my ENTIRE LIBRARY with me at all times! However, since the iPad is only large enough to display a single page of music at the time, I need to turn TWICE the number of pages. I would love to attach/Velcro on a Bluetooth page turning button that I could either press with my finger or foot (preferably a thumb button), but have never tried any of the available products.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on page turners? Maybe I could deconstruct one of the buttons, and incorporate it into my console? What are you thoughts?

Thanks everyone :)

engrssc

Re: Page Turner for Ipad Pro

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 6:10 pm

The organist of the Hour of Power uses a (white tab) on the bottom to reach up to tap the tab and turn pages. While this clip doesn't show him actually turning the single page, pretty sure you get the idea. Much the same as turning a paper page, but quicker.

https://youtu.be/pF2K3GsKBQ8?t=271

Rgds,'
Ed

mdyde

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 3:15 am

[Topic moved here, somewhat arbitrarily!]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 5:45 am

I have been (slightly) exploring the "mechanics" of being able to use 2 - iPads side by side in order to show 2 - pages of music. (The left iPad showing page 1 and the right iPad showing page 2, etc.) I like to "read ahead" when playing which you can't do with a single iPad. Some of the issue is in setting this up flawlessly and quickly and then there's the added complication if the music director decides on the fly to do a repeat from a certain point. You could program something like this idea when doing a solo, but for accompanying, it's a little different.

Rgds,
Ed

sjkartchner

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 6:08 am

A local church and concert organist uses an Airturn PED Bluetooth pedal that he places on the unused crescendo pedal for controlling page turns on his iPad Pro. I tried doing that on the University instrument (a Schoenstein) but found that the angle of the crescendo pedal on that instrument was such that the Airturn would slide off unless fastened with a rubber band, and thus not as practical as I had hoped.

With Forescore, and a portrait orientation, you can do half page turns which can overcome somewhat the one-page limitation. Unfortunately, the same capability is not available for landscape orientation which is how much organ music is published.

I too have found the 12.9" iPad Pro to be a wonderful way to carry and read organ scores and other printed music, subject only to the page turning and one-page limitations you've mentioned.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi Montyjnc,

What app do you use to display your scores?

Andrew

montyjnc

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Andrew - I use ForScore and understand its features very thoroughly, it is a very well-made app.

I am more curious if anyone has either built/or uses any bluetooth buttons to turn pages. Additionally, where and how did they fix this into their consoles?

Andrew Grahame

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 7:25 am

Many thanks!

maestropotvin

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello all,

I though I would ask my question here.

Is there a way to assign one of the thumb pistons on my console to turn pages in ForScore on my iPad through Hauptwerk?

If so, How do I achieve that?

Thanks,

Stephane

mdyde

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 3:48 am

Hello Stephane,

Hauptwerk doesn't currently have natively functionality to control external music reader software, I'm afraid (although we do have that logged as an enhancement request for the future).
Best regards, Martin.

maestropotvin

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks Martin,

Do you know of a way to bypass Hauptwerk and have a way for the console to speak to the iPad?

Thank you,

Stephane

mdyde

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 7:46 am

Hello Stephane,

No doubt it could be done, but it would be rather technical and fiddly (e.g. using intermediate MIDI routing software or hardware). If you want to go down that route then I'll have to leave that one to you, and/or other Hauptwerk users, I'm afraid.
Best regards, Martin.

maestropotvin

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 7:57 am

Thanks Martin.

Return to Computer hardware / specs