It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

Swapping Windows versions

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

NickNelson

Swapping Windows versions

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:40 am

I now have two computers, one (my existing HW only machine) with Windows 7 (64) the other (new HW only machine) with Windows 10 installed. Since I intend to use the older one for general use, I'd like to swap the operating systems. Both OS are properly licenced and I have the media and licences.

Before I get stuck into this I thought I would ask whether this is likely to be impossible, difficult, stupid, or straightforward. I'd welcome any advice or opinions on this.

Nick

mdyde

Re: Swapping Windows versions

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:58 am

Hello Nick,

Do you mean you're considering swapping the two system drives around? If so, you might get away with it (after letting the two Windows installations repair/update themselves for the new drivers needed, and after reactivating the Windows licences, assuming they aren't OEM licences), but personally I wouldn't risk it (including potential risk of reliability issues resulting in the future); I would always prefer to reformat everything and re-install from clean in that situation, for good measure. Clean Windows installations perform better and more reliably anyway (regardless of moving).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 4:13 am

Not sure it's exactly the same, but I upgraded a W 7 setup to W 10. Big mistake as the drivers in some cases operated differently and were not esp Hauptwerk friendly. And yet a fresh install of W10 on a new machine worked fairly well. I'm thinking there were differences in the BIOS and how the CPU, etc handled things. And, yes, everything was upgraded to the latest versions. Not going that way anytime soon again. :cry:

Rgds,
Ed

organplayer

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 4:32 am

I can confirm the previous answers: Don't swap drives with the operating system using different hardware. You can swap drives with data only (but may be you get other drive letters and you are in trouble again, but you can handle this). If you put an existing Windows-installation into another PC, Windows tries to adapt to the new hardware but it never works in a perfect way. Only if you use identical hardware (because the previous is broken and you get an identical one) it will work. But you have to register windows again because the BIOS-numbers etc. may be different.

NickNelson

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 4:42 am

Thanks everyone,

I wasn't planning to just swap the drives, but as Martin suggested I can and will reinstall from the original media. My worry was more about any problems with the licences (both are OEM).

Nick

Return to Computer hardware / specs