It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

More than 16 GB on a new MacBook?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

John Murdoch

More than 16 GB on a new MacBook?

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 10:43 am

Hi!

My professional life (as a software system architect) intrudes. Am I correct in thinking that Apple sells a (current generation) MacBook with more than 16 GB of RAM?

I have two I.T. colleagues pointing to a vendor website insisting that we can't get more than 16 GB--but there are obviously Mac Hauptwerk users using far more. Is anybody using a (current generation) MacBook with more than 16 GB?

Thanks very much for your help!

mdyde

Re: More than 16 GB on a new MacBook?

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 am

Hello John,

Frustratingly, none of Apple's MacBook Pro (or MacBook) ranges, current or otherwise, can accept more than 16 GB (by any means).

At this point in time, if you want a laptop with more than 16 GB then it has to be a Windows/PC one. (E.g. some companies such as Dell make laptops that can accept up to 64 GB.)

Apple's current 27" iMac model can accept 64 GB, however, as can their Mac Pro (although the later is very expensive and hasn't been updated for a few years).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ldeutsch

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Also, if you are hardware and software savvy, you can assemble your own Mac. By doing this, you can have just about any amount of Ram (or disk pace, for that matter) as you want. There is actually a series of articles in this month's MacWorld magazine that describe how you can do this. These things are typically referred to as "Hacintoshes."

Les

mdyde

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 3:28 am

Hello Les,

Hackintoshes (versions of Apple's OS X/macOS operating systems hacked to run on non-Apple hardware) are in breach of Apple's OS X/macOS licence agreement, so aren't 'legal'. For that reason we don't allow discussion of them on this forum. Thanks for your understanding.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Turfstra

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:29 pm

You could buy a secondhand Mac Pro. I bought one recently with 32 GB ram for 500 €. Works great!

Return to Computer hardware / specs