It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

Problems after installing Win10 Fall Creators Update

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Problems after installing Win10 Fall Creators Update

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 am

I don't know off-hand whether AVX-512 benefit loading speeds at this stage, I'm afraid (although it can't hurt).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

Re: Problems after installing Win10 Fall Creators Update

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 am

An update on this (10th January 2018):

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16614&p=125447#p125447

mdyde wrote:Microsoft have been working with us to investigate the performance losses when loading/unloading organs (allocating/freeing memory) that have arisen since the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (build 1709), and especially since the Meltdown/Spectre Windows 10 patch KB4056892.

They're identified the parts of the Windows kernel responsible for the issue and have identified some optimisations that they say should bring performance very nearly back to pre-Fall Creators Update levels. Currently their tentative expectation is that those changes will be released in a Windows 10 update towards the end of April. They're also working on a broader project to investigate performance degradations since the Fall Creators Update in general.

In the meantime their recommendation, in order to avoid the performance issues, is not to upgrade to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (build 1709). (However, I do also appreciate that in many cases it's impossible to avoid doing that, particularly for people that are using the Home Edition of Windows 10, in which installation of Windows 'feature updates' can't be delayed.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs