It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am

Mac Pro 2010 Yosemite OSX 10.10.9 touchscreen compatability

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

St.steve2017

Mac Pro 2010 Yosemite OSX 10.10.9 touchscreen compatability

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi Folks

Shopping around for dual touch or multi-touch touchscreens to control hauptwerk. Been seeing lots of posts for Acer, Dell, Elo, Hp and others, for various Hauptwerk systems. I live in Melbourne Australia and wondering if there is anyone that could possibly suggest 21, 22 or 23 inch screens to run with a Mac PRo 2010, although considerations have been widely read and noted in terms of driver and mac support and comparability.

I don't like the idea of novation pads although i have seen many in hauptwerk setups as they are too small for me to see. I have vision impairment so at times one eye doesn't sometimes know or follow what the other is is doing. So I need or am looking for some so called advice or recommendations to put it lightly. My eye sight is geared to seeing large fonts and don't want to strain too much causing headaches..Bright screens are also an issue due to eye sensitivity.

What are peoples experiences generally with screens and what has worked for you for months, years etc? What would you recommend or recommend highly that provides good control...has good adjustable glare control, but clarity, longevity and compatibility. Is there anything out there that is available or i can consider to look at, physically experience and purchase?

Thanks in advance
Steve. K
Melb, Vic, Australia

kwbmusic

Re: Mac Pro 2010 Yosemite OSX 10.10.9 touchscreen compatabil

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 5:50 am

No experience with Mac operating systems but I do use two Launchpads. Responding to your comment preferring not to use these I would say that I do like using them. Once setting them up from the screen I find I very rarely do or need to, refer to the screen itself. In my playing the need to change setups during a piece is very small and can easily be handled with one or two launchpad button presses.
Earlier I decided not to use touch screens as they had stories of difficulty in setting up and unreliability with added sensitivity to the operating system upgrades.. A further point is that I cannot see the screens easily whilst playing due to the distance from the playing position that they need to be mounted.
Regards,
Keith

St.steve2017

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 2:31 am

Hi Keith

Thanks for your post and comment regarding the T/screens. So what I.m hearing is that having additional screens calibrated to the current running of hauptwerk without any updates may be a safe way of doing things, but as soon as an update is added, that's when we may experience or incur impending troubleshooting problems. Is that right? So if you only refer to them on an ad hoc basis...how do you get to know what stops you are operating while playing, or playing many differnet organs. Unless you only play one you prefer. I like the idea of seeing what stops are going activating 'in' an 'out' so if i need to engage of disengage any additional stops i can actually see it....or is this just my fear talking due to playing pipe organ for a long, getting used to see the ranks go in and out all the time....
Steve. K
Melb, Vic, Australia

mdyde

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 4:19 am

Hello Steve,

St.steve2017 wrote:So what I.m hearing is that having additional screens calibrated to the current running of hauptwerk without any updates may be a safe way of doing things, but as soon as an update is added, that's when we may experience or incur impending troubleshooting problems. Is that right?

Just to clarify, updating Hauptwerk itself can never cause any issues with the correct functioning of touch-screen hardware or drivers. Keith would have been referring to upgrading between major macOS versions (such as between macOS 10.12.x 'Sierra' and mac 10.13.x 'High Sierra'). Apple currently release major macOS versions once each year, and major macOS versions can potentially (and occasionally do) break drivers or other non-Apple software. (Microsoft now take a similar approach and schedule within Windows 10.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

St.steve2017

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 5:10 am

Thanks Martin
Steve. K
Melb, Vic, Australia

Return to Computer hardware / specs