It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am

A Huge Intel Security Hole Could Slow Down Your PC Soon

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

RaymondList

Re: Windows Spectre Patches Are Here, But You Might Want to

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 8:58 pm

The Spectre patches WILL use some computer horsepower.
Ray

mdyde

Re: A Huge Intel Security Hole Could Slow Down Your PC Soon

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 6:05 am

[Topic merged into this one.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 pm

mdyde wrote:An update on this (10th January 2018):
In the meantime their recommendation, in order to avoid the performance issues, is not to upgrade to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (build 1709). (However, I do also appreciate that in many cases it's impossible to avoid doing that, particularly for people that are using the Home Edition of Windows 10, in which installation of Windows 'feature updates' can't be delayed.)

Just a question. I built my latest computer a little over 2 years ago using the Home Edition of Windows 10. I have not had the machine on the internet since. It has not prompted me to reactivate Windows or indicated it was searching for updates. Is this only initiated with an internet connection?

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostTue May 01, 2018 11:38 am

Eric Sagmuller wrote:
mdyde wrote:An update on this (10th January 2018):
In the meantime their recommendation, in order to avoid the performance issues, is not to upgrade to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (build 1709). (However, I do also appreciate that in many cases it's impossible to avoid doing that, particularly for people that are using the Home Edition of Windows 10, in which installation of Windows 'feature updates' can't be delayed.)

Just a question. I built my latest computer a little over 2 years ago using the Home Edition of Windows 10. I have not had the machine on the internet since. It has not prompted me to reactivate Windows or indicated it was searching for updates. Is this only initiated with an internet connection?

Eric

Yes. Without it being on / connected to the internet your computer will not know the difference or if it is in need of an update(s) which are sent out automatically and your computer will update IF it is connected to the internet. Mine has not been on the internet since 2012, no updates, no issues.

Marc

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue May 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks Marc. I kind of thought that was the case. It works nearly flawlessly after disabling a bunch of stuff to rid it of audio glitches. Once in a great while I'll get a small hiccup, but it's so little it's not an issue.

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostTue May 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi Eric,

One other thing you can do if you haven't already, and it may also help in eliminating any audio glitches as was the case with me until I figured it out, is to 'disable' automatic updates on your computer, especially if you don't plan to connect it to the internet anyways.

Mine was looking for an update about 5 minutes into every playing session after startup, even though it was not connected to the internet, turning it off eliminated this glitch.

Of course you can go on the internet too with automatic updates disabled and it won't update, but this is generally not a good idea.

Best bet, Hauptwerk computers for Hauptwerk, internet computers for internet.

Marc

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:14 am

Hi Marc,

I think these are turned off if they can be. I don't remember, but I thought they can't be turned off in this home version. I was following the recommendations from the HW site, and using the write up "Glitch Free" which is really informative.

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostWed May 02, 2018 10:31 am

Hi Eric,

You're right, per a Google search, although it is more difficult to disable updates on Win 10 Home it can be done and I did find a few sites that go through the details. Is it worth doing? I don't know, it could be if you're getting glitches and you never plan to connect it to the internet. I run Win 7 Pro which is easy to disable updates. My computer was checking for updates every time I started the computer and got about 5 - 10 minutes into a playing session, I would get a very audible and somewhat startling glitch that would totally scramble the sound, it would last for about a second or two, then no more for that session. After I disabled updates it quit doing it and hasn't happened since, so I know it was the update feature that was doing it.

Marc

jonrmorgan

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 4:33 am

Hi Martin,

Is there any update on the slow unloading problem ? Scanning this thread again you were hopeful that MS would release a fix by April. I'm fully up to date with Win10 64 bit and HW still takes around 30 secs. to unload Hereford.

Best regards

Jon

Update: After uninstalling v4.2 and reverting to v4 the problem seems to be resolved.
Last edited by jonrmorgan on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrNhanduc

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 10:31 am

There is also another problem, I've seen up-to-date W10 versions slow down a 970 EVO NVME disk from loading at 900-1000 MB/s to 'only' 600-700. I used an old installation disk of W10. After updating W10 is was significantly slower. I have reversed the update and the loading times were back at 900-1000.

I have advised the end user of the PC to never connect to the internet to prevent Windows from updating (well, I always do, but now it was more urgent).

It is sad that the W10 software gives those troubles (also the very slow unloading off RAM) for Hauptwerk PC's.

jkinkennon

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Here's my load speed with a Samsung SSD.
Sample loader: approx. avg. data read rate during disk reader activity: 1162.71 MB/s.

I do agree that the W10 issue with slow unloading is huge. Doesn't seem to be much clarity as to what the issue is. I'm wondering if the same problem is present with Intel chips that are rated for > 64GB of RAM. Can anyone verify that Qt is not involved or that HW uses the most efficient calls to unload memory?
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs