It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:22 am

The strive for lowest latency

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Mcguckind

The strive for lowest latency

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Unfortunately a flood in the summer, destroyed most of my ground floor, including my music room
Im just back in, and I have to say the best replacement was moving from a motu ultralite mk 3, to an Ultralite mk 4. With a dell xps Skylake laptop. Haarlem and Hereford works flawlessly running at 16 samples (latency of 1.7ms) without a sweat. The new Motu drivers are amazing

However a word of caution. They did replace my main pc with a 6 core coffeelake 8700K over clocked, which although many times more powerful than my laptop, does not work quite so well. There is some problem with coffeelake cpu and the motu drivers, which I know Motu will fix really soon. Even with a vast amount of tweaking by an amazing expert, at the moment the latency is not as good as the old Skylake
I suppose thats what happens with using a cpu that is so new!

I must say, that Hauptwerk is probably the best purchase I ever made. I played Haarlen when I was a student many years ago. At the time I could only have dreamed that you would be able to play it every day in your music room. I may not have such a big set up as many of you here ( 4 Genelec tops and an SVS sub) but I leave the room every night with a large smile on my face

mdyde

Re: The strive for lowest latency

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Mcguckind wrote:I must say, that Hauptwerk is probably the best purchase I ever made. I played Haarlen when I was a student many years ago. At the time I could only have dreamed that you would be able to play it every day in your music room. I may not have such a big set up as many of you here ( 4 Genelec tops and an SVS sub) but I leave the room every night with a large smile on my face

Thanks very much for the support and enthusiasm. Very glad to hear you enjoy it so much.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs