It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 am

Touchscreen monitor for Mac Mini?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

damuehlbauer

Touchscreen monitor for Mac Mini?

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 9:56 pm

There are several posts about using a Touchscreen monitor with a Mac, but a few are rather old. Does anyone have current experience with using a Touchscreen monitor with a recent Mac Mini? I am only planning on using one monitor. If so, what brand/model?

Thanks!
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

organtechnology

Re: Touchscreen monitor for Mac Mini?

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 10:44 pm

What screen size and aspect ratio do you want? 5:4 is the square one and 16:9 is the wider screen version.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

damuehlbauer

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 pm

16:9 and probably 22 or 24 inches.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

jkinkennon

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 2:10 pm

The organist at a church I've been working with hooked up the touch USB connection for an ASUS VT207 which I had loaned to them along with a Mac mini. No special drivers, it just worked which really surprised me considering all the comments about Mac touchscreen issues I see here on the forum. I have a pair of these 19" screens and they have been reliable for a couple of years now.

Dnsmo

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Unfortunately, the ASUS website says only Windows 7 & 8 are supported for the VT207N. No mention of use with Macs. (I'm also investigating touchscreen options for use with an iMac.)

Dennis
Dennis

organtechnology

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 pm

damuehlbauer wrote:16:9 and probably 22 or 24 inches.

https://www.oneworldtouch.com/desktop-t ... ch-monitor
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jkinkennon

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 12:24 am

Dnsmo wrote:Unfortunately, the ASUS website says only Windows 7 & 8 are supported for the VT207N. No mention of use with Macs. (I'm also investigating touchscreen options for use with an iMac.)

I use my VT207's (also labelled VT207N) with both Windows 10 and the Mac mini as previously mentioned. The Mac was running High Sierra and the screen was running at its highest resolution of only 1600x900. The monitor was introduced prior to Windows 10 so there won't be any info beyond version 8.1. It works.

EDIT: I haven't tried both monitors together on a Mac. I could try them on my Mac Pro (El Capitan) if that would help anyone.

Dnsmo

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 3:50 pm

That's good to know, as this 19.5" monitor is very affordable. Since the VT207 is VESA mount-compatible, do you have it mounted on a monitor arm? Do you use yours in a portrait or landscape orientation?

I have a 2013 iMac running High Sierra and would love to incorporate two touchscreens. It indeed would be helpful to find out from another Mac user what it would take to use both of these ASUS monitors together, flanking the console left and right.

Dennis
Dennis

engrssc

Dnsmo

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Thanks, Ed.

In the thread you posted, one Mac user wrote that "the touch screen isn't very responsive on the Mac." But there wasn't much information given beyond that.

The OP said he wanted to use only a single monitor, which sounds promising; I'm considering two for my setup. That thread had a few reports of single touchscreens working, but there were few details provided, and it was unclear whether two touchscreens can be successfully used.

I am hoping, along with the original poster, for others to chime in with reports of successes with or less-than-satisfactory assessments of touchscreen monitors with a recent vintage Mac.

Dennis
Dennis

engrssc

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Check out that Touch Base software source. I've heard of several Mac users that have dual t/s monitors that are working. I don't recall if they were Mini's or bigger Macs. Problem is Apple isn't much on the use of t/s monitors.

Rgds,
Ed

ppytprs

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 6:08 am

My understanding is the difficulty comes if you want to use two touchscreens with a mac as the mouse doesn't know which screen you've touched. Should be plug and play with just one.

chr.schmitz

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 6:55 am

Yes, this is the case. Although not officially supported, according to my experience macOS can work with one touchscreen even without driver. After you add a 2nd touchscreen macOS cannot detect anymore, which monitor was touched. This leads to a weird behaviour and can only be solved -- at least to my experience -- with a software driver such as the Touch-Base driver.

Chris

jkinkennon

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 9:21 am

Dnsmo wrote:That's good to know, as this 19.5" monitor is very affordable. Since the VT207 is VESA mount-compatible, do you have it mounted on a monitor arm? Do you use yours in a portrait or landscape orientation?

I have the monitors on stands using the VESA mount. They are currently set in the landscape orientation. My only gripe in portrait orientation is the contrast variation when viewing from the side. They work fine for the organist but in portrait mode they tend to look misadjusted when viewed from any other angle.

I normally use just one screen, and even then it is in place as a supplement to the physical stops as my console is not designed with space for touchscreens. I have an Allen console stripped down to be refinished that is also cut down in height and depth. I can't seem to get around to working on it though so perhaps someone in the Pacific Northwest might want it???

Return to Computer hardware / specs