It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

Latest Win 10 - FYI

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Latest Win 10 - FYI

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 12:05 pm

The latest version of Windows 10 is the Fall Creators Update—version “1709”—and was released in September 2017. Microsoft releases new major updates every six months.

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

Re: Latest Win 10 - FYI

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 pm

engrssc wrote:The latest version of Windows 10 is the Fall Creators Update—version “1709”—and was released in September 2017. Microsoft releases new major updates every six months.

Rgds,
Ed

Hi Ed,

It appears that it depends on which version of Windows 10 you are using as to how frequently it wants to update and there are little 'security' tweaks in between. Win 10 Home updates rather frequently while Windows 10 Enterprise can have the updates delayed by a few months and Windows Enterprise LTSB can go years without updating but when you do you will update to the most current version.

Best Regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

dhm

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 11:12 am

In Windows 10 I can see no reason for going to a higher level than Win 10 Home, since this supports up to 128GB of RAM (unlike Win 7, where you had to use Win 7 Pro for anything above 16GB).
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

PeterHarris

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 10:09 am

I have seen a number of questions re anti virus and windows updates. I'm wondering why any PC/Laptop which runs Hauptwerk is connected to the internet. I have a dedicated laptop for Hauptwerk, running Windows 10, and this never goes on the Internet, therefore never gets updated. Why would I need updates ?

NickNelson

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:13 pm

PeterHarris wrote: I have a dedicated laptop for Hauptwerk, running Windows 10, and this never goes on the Internet, therefore never gets updated. Why would I need updates ?

You wouldn't. Unless, possibly, you upgraded hardware from some reason and this threw up some incompatibility or performance issue. Not everyone has a dedicated setup so they will need to keep
things up to date to protect themselves online and keep their machines current for other purposes.

Nick

jbittner

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 9:26 am

PeterHarris wrote:I have seen a number of questions re anti virus and windows updates. I'm wondering why any PC/Laptop which runs Hauptwerk is connected to the internet. I have a dedicated laptop for Hauptwerk, running Windows 10, and this never goes on the Internet, therefore never gets updated. Why would I need updates ?

Because malware can spread through removable media such as USB drives, sd cards, etc. No network connection required.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

Return to Computer hardware / specs