It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

After installing Windows Update No MIDI USB Devs

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Kalkant

After installing Windows Update No MIDI USB Devs

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Hallo,

after installing a Windows 10 Security Update I've started Hauptwerk. A screen appears, that the USB MIDI Devices Hauptwerk uses so far, has not been found.
Therefore I have to install them inside Hauptwerk completely new. My console has 3 keyboards + Pedal and every keyboard has its own USB Connector, in total 4 USB Connectors. Could this cause problems?
It need some effort to configure the USB MIDI Devs. How can I avoid this problem? Any ideas?

Regards
Kalkant

brooke.benfield

Re: After installing Windows Update No MIDI USB Devs

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 5:20 pm

I have a single USB cable connecting a Motu Express128 MIDI Interface to the computer.

I see this screen you describe every now and then and have found that if I close Hauptwerk and unplug/plug back in the USB cable mentioned above, and then restart Hauptwerk all is well afterward.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

organtechnology

Re: After installing Windows Update No MIDI USB Devs

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 1:54 am

Kalkant wrote:Hallo,

after installing a Windows 10 Security Update I've started Hauptwerk. A screen appears, that the USB MIDI Devices Hauptwerk uses so far, has not been found.
Therefore I have to install them inside Hauptwerk completely new. My console has 3 keyboards + Pedal and every keyboard has its own USB Connector, in total 4 USB Connectors. Could this cause problems?
It need some effort to configure the USB MIDI Devs. How can I avoid this problem? Any ideas?

Regards
Kalkant

Hallo Kalkant,

Many windows computers will sometimes rearrange the order of the USB ports for reasons that are not readily apparent. To combat this we set each USB port to be always powered up, i.e. do not let windows manage the power to the USB port but lock it on. We also arrange the ports from the lowest number port connected to the lowest numbered keyboard (manual or pedal) and the second USB port to the second device, the third USB to the third device, etc. This will not keep Windows from rearranging the other USB ports but seems to leave the keyboards alone. We have also noticed that the reorganization of USBs seems to follow plugging or unplugging devices from the USB ports. Another approach of which others have spoken well is to use a single POWERED hub with sufficient ports for all the devices and plug its USB connection into USB1.

I hope this is helpful to you in solving your problem.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Return to Computer hardware / specs