It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

CPU with 6 Cores HW uses only 4 Cores.

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Kalkant

CPU with 6 Cores HW uses only 4 Cores.

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Hello DevTeam,

a few weeks ago I've updated my Hardware and installed a CPU with 6 Cores (Intel Core i7-8700T). In the Task Manager one can see, that HW uses all the time only 4 of the 6 Cores. Is this intended? Why not 5 Cores? OS is Windows 10 latest update.

Regards
Kalkant

organtechnology

Re: CPU with 6 Cores HW uses only 4 Cores.

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 11:24 pm

Kalkant wrote:Hello DevTeam,

a few weeks ago I've updated my Hardware and installed a CPU with 6 Cores (Intel Core i7-8700T). In the Task Manager one can see, that HW uses all the time only 4 of the 6 Cores. Is this intended? Why not 5 Cores? OS is Windows 10 latest update.

Regards
Kalkant

Previously MDYDE said this:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15496&p=115996&hilit=cores#p115996
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jbittner

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am

The link provided by organtechnology suggests that the number of cores used is determined at sample set load time. As that configuration data is cached after the initial load, perhaps you have to reload of your sample sets to pick up the additional cores.

I have a six core Intel setup and I see activity on all 12 virtual CPU's when using Hauptwerk.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

Kalkant

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Your answer may be the reason, why HW does not use core 5 and 6, John! I will try to reload the samplesets and give you Feedback. Thanks to all.

IainStinson

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 2:32 pm

I don’t think what you are saying is correct. Martin’s post says
Hauptwerk's audio engine will take advantage of all available cores for additional polyohony, with no upper limit. However, additional cores also add some performance overheads, so the additional benefit of each core decreases a little. People get very good performance with 12 cores.

It's only Hauptwerk's organ loading mechanism (which only affects organ loading times) that doesn't yet gain any additional benefit beyond 5-6 cores.

Iain

Return to Computer hardware / specs