It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

CPU issue

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

CPU issue

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 2:52 am

Something I hadn't noticed before. For our church organ, we have 2 totally identical computers. One is active, and the other available as a backup. Both computers running W7 Pro, Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz, 32 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 1TB HDD. The main (computer A) has been running just fine. Using a MOTU UltraLite AVB feeding a networked MOTU 24Ao (160 ft away from the console) as the sound card - .24 channels. Decide to fire up (switch to) the backup (computer B). (Have to switch the dongle from computer A to computer B). Organ runs headless, computer monitor, keyboard, mouse available as needed.

Seemed to run fine., but we thought we heard a slight pop when playing the first notes (with computer B) . Fine after that. Checked the audio, MIDI. Immediately after startup/reboot, just when playing the first note, the CPU went into the red, just once. That was the pop we heard. Couldn't get it to do that "pop" again, just the first note. Re-booted, same thing, just the first note sent the CPU into the red. Replaced computer B with the main (computer A). No first note CPU into the red "pop". So is that a local problem with computer B? After the first note "pop", and it doesn't matter if a single note or a chord is played. Now I question if the backup computer is really a reliable backup?

I doubt anyone would notice the issue as it is so slight. Yet something must cause the CPU on computer B to do that. And it repeats every time. So it isn't an intermittent. BTW, after going into the red with the first note, the CPU stays stable with 3 green bars. True on both computers - CPU shows 3 green bars. Poly is set to 5K pipes and has not been reached as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Rgds,
Ed

notdefined

Re: CPU issue

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am

Have you tried swapping drives? I would move the 1 at a time to make sure that nothing nefarious managed to infect your system. If that brings no joy, I would check the power supply before tearing anything else up. Have you checked to see if the cpu pegs even with the external connections unplugged.

organtechnology

Re: CPU issue

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Ed,

I would think that Computer B is possibly switching from 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz and the pop you hear is the system resyncing on start up. If all of your sample sets are 48kHz then make sure that the audio driver is always starting/running 48kHz.

I would also confirm that both computers are running the same Bios edition and that both are updated to the same level.

Another thing you might check is that the speaker system is not getting a large inrush current when connected to Computer B.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Return to Computer hardware / specs