It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:21 am

Thunderbolt feeding FireWire - any potential problems?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Thunderbolt feeding FireWire - any potential problems?

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 4:46 pm

I am currently specifying a Windows PC, primarily to work with Hauptwerk. At the moment I have a FireWire card with two outputs, each of which feeds a MOTU 828 hybrid Mark 3 sound card, so that Windows sees them as one unit. I am advised that a thunderbolt connector would be a good idea for the new PC, and that this can easily provide two FireWire ports via an adaptor. Any thoughts? I know that some sound cards will only work with Texas Instruments (TI) sound cards – is this a problem with a thunderbolt adaptor?

MOTU's handbook states that 828s can be daisy-chained via FireWire, but I could not get this to work. Windows (10 Professional) would only see one 828 whatever I did; the only configuration that works reliably is a separate lead from each to a FireWire card port. I don't want to make an expensive mistake with the new PC, hence this question!

Romanos

Re: Thunderbolt feeding FireWire - any potential problems?

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Mind you I'm on a Mac, but I currently use a thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor to drive my SaffirePro40 without issue. It's been solid as a rock for over 5 years.

organsRgreat

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks Romanos – it's very helpful to have this reassurance. As both Thunderbolt and FireWire have standards to which all manufacturers conform, what works on a Mac is very likely to work on Windows. If I do encounter serious problems I have the option to swap the Thunderbolt card on the motherboard for a Firewire one, but the expert friends who are advising me say Thunderbolt is the way to go.

Romanos

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 7:04 am

Sure thing.

I agree thunderbolt is the way to go. It is so much more powerful and will be useful much further into the future. It was literally plug-&-play for me. The device showed up, I configured it, and I was off to the races. That, even with about 20’ of FireWire cabling too! I have no doubt that’s pushing the limits as far as cabling is concerned... usb and FireWire can only go so far (unlike cat5 cabling) so that should be extra reassuring.

Return to Computer hardware / specs