It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 am

New MacMini

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Opus1954

New MacMini

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 1:44 pm

As an enthusiastic MacMini user, I am pleased with the redesigned MacMini that was announced today. Seems to be a nice model for Hauptwerk, would you agree...?
- four- and six-core, eighth-gen Intel processor processors,
- up to 64GB of RAM
- up to 2TB of solid state storage,
- four Thunderbolt 3 ports,
- UBA-A inputs.
It will probably not be low-cost, but it seems to be a machine that can handle quite a bit...
Frank

Erzahler

Re: New MacMini

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Good news. More info here with UK prices;
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/new ... te-3552537

sjkartchner

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:05 am

From Apple's website:

In addition to being a great desktop computer, Mac mini powers everything from home automation to giant render farms.

I was not aware there were such things as giant render farms.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

organtechnology

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:09 am

sjkartchner wrote:From Apple's website:

In addition to being a great desktop computer, Mac mini powers everything from home automation to giant render farms.

I was not aware there were such things as giant render farms.

No animals or plants were directly harmed in this "render farm" :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_farm
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

organtechnology

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:13 am

So how much is a NEW Mac Mini:
i7-6core, 32 GB RAM, 1TB Storage, 2 - DVI Diplay Outputs, Dual Touchscreen drivers?

I am betting around $2000.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

sjkartchner

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:16 am

organtechnology wrote:So how much is a NEW Mac Mini:
i7-6core, 32 GB RAM, 1TB Storage, 2 - DVI Diplay Outputs, Dual Touchscreen drivers?

I am betting around $2000.

At least. I'm guessing closer to $2,500 or even $3,000. Apple always charges a premium for RAM.

sjkartchner

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 am

Actually, the prices are already available. A new mac mini with the i7 six core processor, 64 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD drive is $3,400. With 32 GB RAM it is $2,600. See https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac- ... ghz-256gb#

This is definitely a big step forward for many power users (although probably not gamers or video editors given the lower-performance video processor, see here: https://www.techcenturion.com/intel-uhd-graphics-630). Much better than the hamstrung previous generation.

chadstaten

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 8:14 pm

I’ve also been thinking the new Mac Mini would be an outstanding Hauptwerk computer. My concern is touchscreen monitors.

Even with (or maybe because of) everything that’s touch these days, touchscreen monitors for desktop computers seem increasingly rare.

As such, does anyone have an economical solution/recommendation for two touchscreen monitors that WILL work with the new Mac Mini?

chr.schmitz

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 3:43 am

I have two Acer T232HL ABMJJZ.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.VT2AA.A01

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-T232HL-Abmjjz-Touchscreen-Widescreen/dp/B00I2P6TEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542011712&sr=8-1&keywords=T232HL

These monitors work absolutely fantastic with macOS, but they require that you also purchase the drivers from Touch-Base. And don't forget to buy the lifetime upgrade, as every new version of macOS requires updated drivers.

https://www.touch-base.com

The Touch-Base support is hard to beat!

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me privately.

Chris

fermata

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 pm

Hello, all. I've been absent from this forum for a while, but am now looking at possibly getting the new MacMini to run Hauptwerk. Which configuration is recommended?

fermata

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello, all. I've been absent from this forum for a while, but am now looking at possibly getting the new MacMini to run Hauptwerk. Which configuration is recommended?

wlsartore

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 9:47 am

Hi Fermata

I've just installed a new Mac Mini into an old Allen 505B console (2-manual) this past weekend.

The specs for the Mini are:

3.2 Ghz 6-core
32 Gb RAM
512 GB Hard drive

The sample sets that I have are three different Cavaille Coll organs:
Mainz - OrganArt Media
St. Eucaire Metz - Milan Digital Audio
Notre Dame de Metz - Milan Digital Audio

The Milan sample sets require more resources than the Mainz organ set. With extended and high bit rate samples of either of the Milan sets loaded the MacMini doesn't even break a sweat.

Not sure of your budget but if I had to trim things down I would probably go with the standard 256 Gb hard drive (can always plug in an external one) and cut back to the 3.0 Ghz 6-core. I wouldn't want to give up the 32Gb RAM though. With my having only two manuals and pedals the quad-core MiniMac might've been enough.

However, considering my playing ability lately, I'm probably more deserving of an 8-bit Commodore Vic-20.

Bill S

engrssc

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 10:44 am

wlsartore wrote: more deserving of an 8-bit Commodore Vic-20.

Wonder how many here remember those Commodores? Good machines in their day.

Rgds,
Ed

fermata

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Thank you, wisartore, for your very helpful reply! I've been studying the specs of the MacMini, and am leaning towards the same configuration you have.

Is it correct to assume that I do not need an audio interface, but can connect the MacMini directly to my speakers? What do you have for speakers, if I might ask? I have one pair, and plan to get another eventually, for a 4-speaker setup.

Lastly, what do you use for a touchscreen with your MacMini?

wlsartore

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 11:37 am

Fermata,

I'm taking the 3.5 mm audio output from the Mini and splitting to A) a headphone amplifier and B) a powered subwoofer. The sub has R & L inputs as well as R&L outputs to the the two active monitors at the end of the chain. If I decide to add surround speakers I'll need to look at an audio interface.

Forgot to mention that I'm using a Roland UM-One mk2 midi interface plugged into the mini's USB-A port. The HW dongle is plugged into the remaining USB-A port.

The capture action on the Allen console is still functional so I'm using all the Allen hardware to control the stops. The problem that I have is that all the stop tabs are labeled to correspond with the stop names in my old Artisan sound engine. I have mapped the new HW (French name) stops to a corresponding (German name) tab but there are more hardware stop tabs available to me than there are HW stops so there are some "empty" stop tabs for now. I suppose this is a good problem to have but there are only three of the stop tabs labelled as couplers.

I'm using a little 10" 2K HDMI monitor that fits into the card drawer on the console. I have the resolution backed off to 1280 on it so that I don't need a microscope to read it. The small magic key board and magic trackpad fit into the card drawer as well.I had to carve out the drawer a little bit to get everything to fit into it.

I can view and control the mini using the iPad with the Luna app/hardware but I still need to get my head around that stuff. It's all still new and I need to do a little more re-wiring here and there on the console.

bILL
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs