It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

CPU Spikes - I've Tried Everything I Can Think Of

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

csw900

Re: CPU Spikes - I've Tried Everything I Can Think Of

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 4:16 am

SuperFetch was added to Windows many years ago. It is intended to preload frequently used applications and data into memory so that they are available more quickly if and when needed. As this is done in the background and causes disk and memory activity while other applications e.g. HW are running it is well known that it can adversely affect some applications.

This activity could cause areas of memory which are currently being used to get swapped out to disk - a really bad idea for HW users. It also causes considerable and unpredictable extra disk activity which would be particularly bad for solid state disks and very noticeable if the main disk has a small buffer (which many cheaper ones do).

For a computer running HW alone disabling SuperFetch is a good precaution along with not connecting the internet.

For a computer running HW and other programs with equal priority disabling SuperFetch may not be such a good idea especially if it is not causing problems.

csw900

engrssc

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 5:57 am

In that regard, is there a listing of other (not needed for a HW computer) programs that can be eliminated?

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 6:49 am

engrssc

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 7:18 am

Thanks, Iain, Looks to be an excellent resource.

BTW csw900, that was a very understandable explanation of super fetch. Good stuff all around.

Rgds,
Ed

Japio

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 8:31 am

Read on a dutch forum:
Microsoft gave our medicine a new name. Superfetch is now called: SysMain.

dhm

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 12:31 pm

IainStinson wrote:Look at http://www.blackviper.com

I'm a great fan of blackviper.com. We always used his "bare bones" strip-down list for all the Windows 7 PCs we built, and hardly ever had any audio problems.
BUT: (a) his list for Win 10 doesn't appear to be as clear as the Win 7 list, AND (b) we have had no end of audio glitch problems with Win 10 PC builds - particularly a couple using new Ryzen processors and 64GB of RAM.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

evertjan

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 4:34 pm

BlackViper is stopped per 1 January 2019. For the last Windows 10 (1809 RS5) version Charles has not made an overview, so he is stopped in November.
I think because it costs a lot of time to create a list for the new Windows 10 version each 6 month. And Microsoft continuous changes things, also new or renamed services. A lot of research must be made for creating such a list.
The Windows 7 and 8.1 lists are must easier.

britokusa

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Hi. I had this issue on my HOME DELL XPS8500 - I7 third Gen (3770) that was really built for Win 7 - the spikes started with win 10 versions as I upgraded.

I wasn't having this issue at the Church (also an I7 processor) but later generation (6700 I think), Machine built for Win 10.

So I decided to buy an I7 7th (7700) generation for home. (HP 800 SFF G3 32gb ) - and the spiking has completely gone (not even small spikes) its also vastly out performing my Dell on polyphony etc

I am going to speculate that the issue is related to the earlier machines architecture that were designed for Win 7 or 8

What computer do you have? Things like switching off superfetch all helped with my Dell, but replacing has turned out to be the way to go for me !
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs