It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am

touch screen functionality for Hauptwerk

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

fermata

touch screen functionality for Hauptwerk

PostSat Mar 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Two questions:
(1) Should Hauptwerk touch screens be single-touch or multi-touch?
(2) Also, which works best for Hauptwerk -- capacitative or resistive touch screens? ...or is this a personal choice thing?

IainStinson

Re: touch screen functionality for Hauptwerk

PostSun Mar 03, 2019 12:12 pm

I use ilyama touch monitors - they use "projective capacitive, multitouch (10 compatible touch points - HID, only with supported OS), activated by finger". For example see https://www.iiyama-monitors.co.uk/products/T2336MSC-B2.aspx
For use with a MAC additional drivers seem to be required - for Windows the work without additional drivers.
(see https://www.touch-base.com/for example)

The HW manual discusses the monitors on page 15, and how to "swipe" mutliple stops on page 52.

I don't think HW actually supports multitouch - ie. I don't think it responds to two or more simulateous touches.
With Windows 10 you can use the OS's gesture support (if you enable them) outside HW.

Iain

MrNhanduc

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 3:01 am

I would recommend capacitive, this is the way your smartphone etc. works too. Resistive means you have to push 'hard', in my experience these screens work best when your hand is turned around so you use your nails, since they create enough pressure on the screen to be registered as a touch. I find these resistive type of screens therefore not very easy to use. Capacitive works much more intuitive and by swiping you can indeed enable several registers quickly (if they are all below each other).

jrball

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 9:08 am

I have two Dell touch screens that are optical. Emitters and sensors along four sides.
Very reliable technology but...
Fussy to use. Fingers usually work but must locate the right place to touch a button, usually just lower than the center..
Small chopstick pointers seem too small to work.
Sometimes it just gets stuck for awhile, must be a Windows issue, or HW getting confused from multiple inputs.

Windows still doesn't let me use touch on both screens, probably because my video card
doesn't have two native HDMI outputs. I think Windows requires both video pathways to be identical.

fermata

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I don't think I will be using the swipe technique, but what worries me about the capacitive screen is that by just hovering in indecision over a stop, it will be activated. I had a printer that worked like that and it was so annoying. On the other hand, neither do I want to have to position my hand to push "hard" from the front. Hm...decisions....

Return to Computer hardware / specs