Search:
Submit Search

To update or not? - Windows 10

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.

To update or not? - Windows 10

Postby Jeff C » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:54 pm

I am in the middle of building my first organ. The manuals are complete and have been hooked-up to a computer running Windows 10 and Hauptwerk just to try them out. Thankfully everything seems fine.

The computer is a self build and dedicated solely for use with Hauptwerk and Windows was stripped-down to remove as much bloatware as possible. The computer goes nowhere near the internet and everything seems to be running pretty well.

Here is the dilemma. I am considering upgrading the CPU and given that I have taken away the internet connection to the computer, Windows has not been updated for several months.

Recently, I have been reading in computer magazines (and on this forum) that recent Windows updates have created a number of problems and in some cases have caused computers to crash, and I'm sure I read recently (in a magazine) that Microsoft had had so many complaints that they are considering producing a further update designed to remove several previous updates in order that their software engineers can come up with a solution before rolling them out again. (I'm sure I read that correctly).

Given that everything is working well at the moment are there any strong opinions here on the need to keep Windows constantly updated?
Jeff C

Re: To update or not? - Windows 10

Postby Mixtuur4st » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Of course NOT !
Mixtuur4st

Postby engrssc » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Best rule, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Postby sjkartchner » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:03 pm

My Hauptwerk computer is also used for video editing, flight simulation, and a number of other tasks that benefit from its large memory compliment (64 GB). It would be costly and impractical to have multiple computers for those additional functions. It is always connected to the internet, and I'm still using Windows 7 Pro. I also use the ESET security suite.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA
sjkartchner

Postby kwbmusic » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:08 am

You will get many variable responses! I use Windows 10 Home and computer is always connected to the net with no problem at all over 4 or so years. Hauptwerk used at home for my own enjoyment and the only cautious thing I do is to check for system upgrades and perform these when Hauptwerk not running.
Keith
kwbmusic

Postby csw900 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:52 am

I use windows 10 Home every day and the computer is connected to the internet. There is no option about accepting updates - they come as and when Microsoft send them and they are installed automatically whether you want them or not. The only way to stop updates is to disconnect the internet and never connect it again.

I have never had any problems with HW or any other organ or sound producing equipment on Windows 10. However I do not play the organs in public.

csw900
csw900

Return to Computer hardware / specs