Search:
Submit Search

NEW BIGGER HARD DRIVE QUESTION

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.

Re: NEW BIGGER HARD DRIVE QUESTION

Postby engrssc » Wed May 01, 2019 12:25 am

Hi Drew,
Here is the file for dowloading:

https://www.backup-utility.com/download.html Above "Download Now" is a space to enter your email address. Then click on Download Now. You can then Save it.either in Downloads or Document Folder. Followed by permission requests. .Save File is AOMEIBackupperStd, Select Language, etc. When file is loaded, click on lower left of page (above the tool bar) to install it. Yeah, they would like you to buy the upgraded version with more features, but that isn't necessary. Click on "Skip" on the "Buy Page" lower right which will take you to the Install Now page.
Icon will appear on your desktop. Click on it to complete the installatiuon. Opening page, "Clone is on left, third down from the top. File size is 112,736 KB, (In my case, it is in the Documents folder).
Just follow instructions and you will be good to go.
Your C drive (Source) will appear, click on it, then the Destination (the new drive) First step is the program will analyze the source driive, etc. Click on ok when that is finished, and go get some coffee or whatever your brew. . :wink: It will take some time.

BTW, the first time I did this, I had my fingers, legs and eyes crossed hoping it would work. It did.
Hope that helps. Enjoy. 8)

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Postby IainStinson » Wed May 01, 2019 4:05 am

If you only want to use the new ssd for HW and leave the operating system on the existing ssd, then connect the new ssd to you machine, format the new ssd as an ntfs filesystem ( be very careful to select the correct disk) then use the HW installer to move the parts of HW that can be relocate to the new drive. This will leave the HW program with other programs on the system disk but the HW data to the new drive. With this method you can leave it to HW to put the files into the correct folders rather than doing this yourself. Read the section of the manual on HW data file locations....

The cloning method would be fine if you wanted to make the new drive your system disk, freeing up the 512GB drive.

Iain
IainStinson

Postby Erzahler » Wed May 01, 2019 5:44 am

Thanks for all the great replies to my question.
Now it would be perfect if someone could do a diagram/flowchart showing where all the components reside.
Thanks.
Erzahler

Postby IainStinson » Wed May 01, 2019 6:19 am

See pages 18/19 in the manual
During installation, it is possible to choose to install different groups of Hauptwerk's files into different locations. The files are grouped according to their size and backup requirements.
There are two 'installation sets' from which you will be able to choose during installation: Standard and Custom.
The Standard set installs all files into default folders on your computer's main drive, and is recommended for most people, especially if you only have one drive (or a single RAID array) installed in the computer.
On Mac OS X, the Standard option installs the Hauptwerk software itself into /Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ and all data files into /Hauptwerk. On Windows, the Standard option installs the Hauptwerk software into \Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ and all data files into \Hauptwerk.
It is the Custom option that allows the data file groups to be installed to separate locations, and you may wish to choose this option if you are an experienced computer user and have more than one drive or more than one RAID array, across which you wish to optimize drive access or space usage. If you decide that you wish to use the Custom installation set, you should plan how you wish to lay out the folders before running the installer. If you are building a new computer, you may wish to lay out the file systems or RAID arrays at this stage. Once Hauptwerk has been installed, the installation locations cannot be changed without re-running Hauptwerk's installer.
The groups of files, whose installation folders can be adjusted are:
 User data. Files and folder containing your settings, organ combinations and other user data. Reliable storage should be used. Hauptwerk's native backup/restore functionality can be used to back them up regularly. Recommended size for growth: 1 - 2 GB.
 Sample sets and components. Organs, sample data, temperament files, and other shared installable components. Place this folder on a large drive. Storage need not be secure, since all data can be re-installed. Recommended size for growth: 5 - 400 GB.
 Internal working data. Processing and analysis are performed the first time a virtual organ is loaded. The resulting data are stored in a 'sample set data cache' for the virtual organ within this folder so that it can load much more rapidly subsequently. Ideally these files should be placed on a large, fast drive to minimize organ loading times. Storage need not be secure, since all data can be regenerated. An SSD, or fast RAID array, is ideal. Recommended size for growth: 5 - 200 GB.
IainStinson

Postby Erzahler » Wed May 01, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks Iain for directing me to those pages.
Erzahler

Postby dw154515 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:20 am

I let it reinstall to the new drive last night while I slept. I woke up this morning to what appears to have been a successful swap.

Thank you all for the help and recommendation. I assumed this would be possible, but I wanted to be sure before pulling the trigger. Now I should be able to load and play my new Caen and Silberman organs this evening.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumcmusic.org
Field Engineer - Sensory Technologies
http://www.sensorytechnologies.com
dw154515

Postby engrssc » Wed May 01, 2019 11:46 am

Success is good. :) I always hate to be at the mercy of a sometimes fragile drive.

I keep my "master" main source drive in a secure (undisclosed) location. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs