It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:16 pm

NEW BIGGER HARD DRIVE QUESTION

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

dw154515

NEW BIGGER HARD DRIVE QUESTION

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Do I understand correctly that, instead of doing a full Windows migration, I can just re-install HW on the new drive, and it will copy all of the existing sample sets, settings, etc. over to the new drive? This would be MUCH preferred over doing a full migration to the new drive if so.

Thank you!
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

engrssc

Re: NEW BIGGER HARD DRIVE QUESTION

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 9:49 pm

I use a (free) cloning utility

https://www.backup-utility.com/disk-clone-software.html

Very powerful and it transfers the OS as well making a bootable (identical to the old) hard drive with all Hauptwerk and sample set 'settings'. When copying/cloning a smaller HD to a larger HD, the cloned copy will be the same size as the smaller with an empty partition. You then need to click on the partition to open it up so you can use the entire new, larger HD. I've done this cloning on HDD's as well as SSD's. I keep an up to date cloned copy either in the computer, but disconnected or externally if there isn't any room inside.

What I have found is there can be some issues, when cloning from a multiply cloned copy. In other words, a copy of a copy of a copy, etc. Never had a problem with the first generation copy. Depending on the size of the data, it does take some time. There is a box on the bottom of the page to click if you want the computer to shut down at the end of the cloning session. They do try to suggest buying the upgrade. I use the Standard Backupper successfully. There is a free trial of the upgrade also available.

If you add the above program onto your existing Hard Drive, it will be copied to the new disk. This program and MidiOx

http://www.midiox.com/?http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm

are the only extra utilities I keep on the HW computer.

Rgds,
Ed

Erzahler

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 4:44 am

A question related to this.
The sample rar. files are easy enough to find. They are where you put them.
But where is the file when you install the sample?
Is it in Hauptwerk - Hauptwerk Sample Sets and Components and Hauptwerk User Data?

OrganoPleno

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:14 am

Erzahler wrote:The sample rar. files are easy enough to find. They are where you put them.
But where is the file when you install the sample?

The Files go several different places, which can vary depending on what you specify when you first install Hauptwerk. For each Organ Sample Set installed, there will be one or more (large) data sets which all go into one directory, and one Organ Definition File (which goes into a different directory), and one file (plus one backup) for User Settings (which goes into another directory, saving your keyboard installation and so forth), and a Combinations Folder containing (by default) 32 empty combinations awaiting your saved Registrations (which goes into a Combinations directory), plus (of course) the Cache File (very large) in its own directory which actually allows the Sample Set to play.

The Organ Definition Files are listed by the Name of the Sample Set; the other files are all identified by numbers. For the Data Sets, you can see the number during the installation (when Hauptwerk asks permission to go ahead and install the Data Set). For the others, once you have built the Cache File you can look at all the Cache Files (once you have found their directory) and note the number for the new, just-made file. That same number will pertain to the User Settings and Combinations as well.

There is a file inside the Hauptwerk installation which shows the locations for all of these other files. If you can find that one, then you have found them all.

dw154515

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:20 am

The is for the info, I will do the migration if necessary, but to my original question, is it feasible to just reinstall to a new location and it copy everything?
Drew A. Worthen

OrganoPleno

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:27 am

dw154515 wrote:The is for the info, I will do the migration if necessary, but to my original question, is it feasible to just reinstall to a new location and it copy everything?

If you know exactly where everything goes, and you put everything in exactly the right place, it should work just fine. Hauptwerk operates entirely on the basis of having the proper files in the proper locations.

If not, you will "break the installer", as Martin Dyde has warned us so often. In that case... you're on your own, as such do-it-yourself manoeuvres are always ENTIRELY unsupported!

engrssc

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 am

As I said, cloning does work. Obviously, both drives (original source and the destination) drives have to be connected to the same computer. The cloned (copied) drive is an exact duplicated copy of the original C drive..Nothing else needs to be done. Try it, you'll like it.

Rgds,
Ed

OrganoPleno

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 am

The Hauptwerk Program can show you lists of all the Files that it is aware of. Click on "File", then "Uninstall". (A very scary move...)

This will show all of the Data Sets, listed by number but with their Names also shown. Followed by a list of all Organ Definition Files (by Name), and then by a list of all installed Temperaments (by Name).

Be sure to use this list just for looking around. If you actually select and CLICK on anything... IT'S GONE! So just be careful...

Knowing the names and numbers of these files, you could use your Operating System to search and find out where they are. These are the key files. Everything else can be re-generated from just them... but you'd have to re-configure everything from scratch... keyboards, pistons, voicing, saved registrations, and so forth.

murph

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:50 am

Q: do you need to change the HDD, or would adding a bigger one for the organ caches be sufficient?

engrssc

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 am

The program I mentioned will first analyze the source (C) drive's data, then will indicate how long the process will take.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

OrganoPleno

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 am

engrssc wrote:As I said, cloning does work. The cloned (copied) drive is an exact duplicated copy of the original C drive. Try it, you'll like it.

I also use a Cloning Program. My Cache Files are on a separate drive... SSD for fast loading. Everything else (plus the Operating System) is on my Drive C:

When everything is installed exactly to taste, I make a Cloned Backup of Drive C: and save it to DVD. If there is not much else on the Desktop, I can usually fit Windows 7 with Hauptwerk onto a single Double-Sided DVD. Otherwise the Cloning Program can divide up the files into bite-sized pieces that will each fit onto a regular DVD.

This way, if my Hard Drive is ever corrupted, I can quickly set up everything again just the way it is supposed to be. And if the Drive ever dies... the new Replacement Drive very quickly takes over just as if nothing had ever gone wrong. This has been a life-saver on many occasions.

I use "Clone-Zilla", which is available for free (open source) from Taiwan, and works in Chinese as well as English. Documentation is terrible and the User Interface is very raw. But so Powerful! Of course, very dangerous if mis-used.

OrganoPleno

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:56 am

murph wrote:Q: do you need to change the HDD, or would adding a bigger one for the organ caches be sufficient?

There are many ways that this could be done. If you just want to move the Cache Files to a different drive, that should be possible within Hauptwerk by re-running the Installer. Or so I've heard... but I've never tried this because I always prefer just moving the Files around by hand... "at my own risk", but at least I know exactly where they are...

IainStinson

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 5:35 pm

I'm not very clear what you want to do....

Do you have more than one hard drive (or ssd) in your Windows computer? If not and you intend to install another drive (or drives) in the computer so you can expand your Hauptwerk installation then once the new drives are installed and formatted ready to use the Hauptwerk installer can be run in such a way as to move the various files used by Hauptwerk to new disk locations. See pages 19 & 26 of the manual. [I have done this and it works fine (but note the advice about taking a backup).]

If you can't (or don't want to) install a second drive and want to replace the existing (system) drive with a larger /faster one, then you need to use some cloning software (such as the items mentioned above). You will also need a way of connecting the new drive externally to computer whilst you are cloning the drive; you can buy hardware "tools" to help you do this. If you are cloning the Windows system disk, follow the instructions provided with the cloning software carefully and completely. I have upgraded the system ssd on a Windows 10 machine to a (new) larger capacity ssd and I used the cloning software provided with the new device - this worked well,

Good luck!

Iain

engrssc

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 6:08 pm

IainStinson wrote: You will also need a way of connecting the new drive externally to computer whilst you are cloning the drive; you can buy hardware "tools" to help you do this.

I've found with each computer that I have, there are multiple connections available internally for one or more additional HDD's or SSD's as well as, of course, the main C drive. You can use one of these extra power and data connections for the disk to be cloned. Obvious, do care must be taken.

I just finished cloning a 1 TB SSD (as the) destination disk) from a 500 HDD C drive. Took quite a while. After deleting the partition at the 500 GB "position" of the new 1 TB SSD, the disk now is installed as my new C drive. Everything Hauptwerk wise has been moved to the new disk and operates as it did on the former 500 GB C drive..Was considering 2 TB SSD, but the budget said 'no way'. :shock:

BTW, I got an email earlier advertising a sale for a 7200 rpm, 8 TB HDD. Imagine replacing all that data if that puppy crashed without a back up? :cry:

Comment - Can see the day we'll be running HW from a server, maybe? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

dw154515

PostTue Apr 30, 2019 9:43 pm

IainStinson wrote:I'm not very clear what you want to do....

Do you have more than one hard drive (or ssd) in your Windows computer? If not and you intend to install another drive (or drives) in the computer so you can expand your Hauptwerk installation then once the new drives are installed and formatted ready to use the Hauptwerk installer can be run in such a way as to move the various files used by Hauptwerk to new disk locations. See pages 19 & 26 of the manual. [I have done this and it works fine (but note the advice about taking a backup).]

This is the option I would prefer, assuming that it works. I don't want to use the other drive for Hauptwerk.

I have a 500GB SSD (original to the machine) and it's full. I now have another 1TB SSD. I would really just like to move Hauptwerk to the 1TB drive, and leave everything else alone, unless there's a reason this shouldn't be done.
engrssc wrote:I use a (free) cloning utility

https://www.backup-utility.com/disk-clone-software.html

Very powerful and it transfers the OS as well making a bootable (identical to the old) hard drive with all Hauptwerk and sample set 'settings'. When copying/cloning a smaller HD to a larger HD, the cloned copy will be the same size as the smaller with an empty partition. You then need to click on the partition to open it up so you can use the entire new, larger HD. I've done this cloning on HDD's as well as SSD's. I keep an up to date cloned copy either in the computer, but disconnected or externally if there isn't any room inside.

This program won't let me clone without purchasing.
Drew A. Worthen
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs